Coopers Community

Boil size, hop concentration, gravity, etcetera

King Ruddager

I don't really have a specific question about these things, just looking for some general advice.

So, when doing an extract brew, what factors do you take into account when doing a boil?

Unfortunately how big is the pot and how long will it take to cool.

But once I put these things out of my mind, and listening to a lumberjack dude

The bigger the Boil the better the beer
I upped my boil size.

It's my 4th extract brew and I just tasted the Hydro sample and I think I have almost nailed it. I used a 6 litre boil, it still cooled down OK in the bath.

My pot is actually one of the 19 litre jobbies so I am going to keep pushing the size, next up 8 litres then 10. I am also planning a mini mash [pinched] Damn I said I'd never do that, but I think you need a 2.5:1 ratio of water to grain.

Talking pot sizes here is my 2c worth.

I have just now finished a 11.5L BIAB and put her in the fridge.

Decided to use my 15L(sellers rating) SS pot today instead of the 30L. The 15L actually holds 16.9L filled to the rim.

I mashed 2.1 Kg of grain in 14L of water and it worked a treat.

When it came to boiling I started with 14.5L after topping up the mash out. After the boil I ended up with 9.5L and topped of with 2 litres of cold sterile water.

My immersion cooler fits the 15L pot nicely and it is easy to handle in the kitchen.

My advice for anyone wanting to do BIAB 11.5L size batches (AG or Partial) then you can get away nicely with a 15L (16.9L) SS pot provided you sparge with the balance of the water. Get yourself a 15L plastic fermenter with tap as well.

I like it because the pot fits perfectly in a 20Kg styrene fish box that you can get at any fish merchant (they do not reuse them) and you can put the styrene lid on it and it keeps the temperature within 0.2 \xb0C during the mash. I might add about 6 litres of hotter water to the box (not the pot) if the temperature is cooler. The 15L pot loses less heat during the boil and is much more convenient in all respects.

I mashed 2.1 Kg of grain in 14L of water and it worked a treat..

Sorry John, not taking a shot at all, just seeking clarification..

Thats a hell of a L/G ratio for base malt (assumed) and going above 1/4 isnt something Id generally advise... not saying it doesnt work for you, just thinking that conversion may be less than ideal due to the liquor to grain ratios I know of..

If Ive missed something? No ofence to your process and hay, if it works it works but personally I tried never to get above 1/4 for my partials.

Yob

Hi Yob

Most often I would use a lower ratio and sparge in the balance but today I thought I will no sparge and just use full volume of water and mashout at 75\xb0C for 10mins. I ended up with the same OG of 1.040 that I always do. Think it was 73% efficiency. Mind you I mash for 90mins @ 67\xb0C and mashout 10mins.

To be honest I do not get too hung up on efficiency and prefer to just up the grainbill by a few percent.

I have failed to notice any difference in the final product with either method.

you got an OG of 1040 from 14L of strike liquor to 2.1kg of grain? ed: has to be with all the fermentables added yeah?

Still a hell of a L/G ratio, was my impression that conversion would suffer as a rusult of a thin liquor.

Always happy to learn lessons

[biggrin]

Hi Ruddager.

I don't really have a specific question about these things, just looking for some general advice.

So, when doing an extract brew, what factors do you take into account when doing a boil?

I'm primarily extract brewing these days. If you are like me Ruddy, you are looking at a lot of All Grain recipes, & attempting to convert them as best you can to Extract.

What I do is, basically look at the BASE malt contribution of a recipe & attempt to reproduce that with as much LME &/or LDM as is necessary. When the recipe requires specific grains that are not available in liquid or dry forms, I find I am able to mash/steep those quantities to good levels so that they have the intended impact on the brew that the all grain recipe asks for.

I capably do 2kg grain/6-8 litre mashes, that end up as similar sized starting volumes for the start of my hop boils. If I've only done a small grain steep, I'll add LDM to get my boil wort to the 1.040 level before adding in my hop additions. The 1.040 Specific Gravity of my wort is something I maintain EVERYTIME before beginning my hop boil. [rightful]

I hope that helps in some way. [happy]

Anthony.

Archived