Coopers Community

saison recipe

Nick

i just did a quick site search for saison but came up empty handed, but found out plenty when i googalised it. still non the wiser for a simple recipe, so if anyone has a suitably easy K and K plus additions for it, please post or link. seems that the yeast is the key factor and i am still not at the stage of culturing yet. i will watch this space with interest[biggrin]

I don't have any K&K recipes but it is easy to come up with one. Keep it simple as it is all in the yeast.

If using a kit, go with a lager style kit. The Pilsener would be good but could also use the Euro Lager or Heritge lager.

Use LDM or LME for the rest of the fermentables with some wheat malt, caramunich and white sugar.

Do a 5-10 minute boil (or steep) of some hops. If you are sticking to common hops then try either EKG or Styrian Goldings.

And get the right yeast and make a starter.

This may not be strictly to style but it is easy and should (fingers crossed) make a decent beer. Stick it into IanH's spreadsheet and play around with it.

Let us know if you do it.

wlp565, wlp566, wyeast3724, Fermentis T-58.

Those would all be fine.

Hairy's suggested recipe is almost identical to what I was going to suggest:

Kit - pilsener or european lager

1kg Amber DME

500g Wheat DME

300g carapils steep

15g coriander seed (crushed) and rind of 2 bitter oranges - 10 minutes boil.

yeast as above.

Ferment warm at about 24-26 (depending on which yeast you get)

I use the Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast in a beer and it's one of my friends favourites that I've made. The flavour is all from the yeast - it's quite different.

I used the Real Ale kit, LME and some medium crystal grains, along with some herbs and spices - from experience I would definitely go with a much lighter kit, like the pilsener or lager as Hairy mentioned above.

Archived