Adz

Hi All,

The following has been put together on the evening of 26th November :

Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg

BE2

150g Honey

Yeast

OG = 1040

I have kept the FV at 20C on average using a bath, towels, and an Ice bottle or 2. 4 ice bottles on those 40C days we had in Sydney recently. It seemed to have worked very well.

I'm getting some strange readings:

1st Dec - 1011

2nd Dec - 1011

3rd (yesterday) - 1010.5

4th (today) - 1010

1. Is this normal?

2. I have opened the wort just to check it, is it okay that I did this?

3. Will my next move be to wait 1 day or 2 days before taking next reading?

PS - the last batch, although at 24C, was great! Friends loved it, Family, and myself of course. Another thing with this experience is I'm learning a lot of patience. Wow.[lol]

Hi Adz.

I concur with Otto. Your brew seems to be within a few days of being able to bottle, provided your hydrometer readings are stable over 2 concurrent days.

It's nice to see someone using some honey too. If you want a nice undertone of honey in the beer you are brewing Adz, you can actually use it as a substitute for any sugar/dextrose that you are using as part of your recipe. In most cases the honey you are using comprises of some 75% sugar anyway. So your yeast will chomp away at it during your primary fermentation as it would regular sugar or dextrose. The end result that honey offers against using regular sugar or dextrose is that lovely residual honey flavour/undertone depending on the amounts you use.

I did 3 brews back a few months ago where I used 375gms of honey in each, & each beer had a nice undertone honey flavour, that didn't overpower the other flavours I had mixed together for those brews.

I plan to brew a couple of honey porters early in the new year so that they are ready for winter next year. Playing with the honey additions will be fun. [biggrin]

Good luck with your future brewing. [joyful]

Anthony.

1 - perfectly normal

2 - best not to open it.

3 - I'd give it until the weekend to tidy itself up a bit, but it should be fine to bottle if you need to.

Well done on your temperature control, the patience will come easier once you settle down into a routine [wink]

Archived