Coopers Community

Basic recipes as printed on the can. Are they on here anywhere?

Rosie B

I have a new Coopers brew kit and have started the Lager kit enclosed using the basic recipe on the lable.

BUT.. I threw out the can and didn't write down expected times etc [innocent]

Are the basic recipes available on this site anywhere? I have done several searches, and I have read lots of very good advice, and some [lol]

I started the brew on 23 Dec should be Nov . Used the yeast supplied and Brew Enhancer 1 that was in the kit.

The OG was 1041

The gravity for yesterday and today is 1012 and it is very clear and not looking like it is doing anything.

Is it ready to bottle?

I keep reading Lager takes longer, but it has been warm around here. I have wrapped the FV in wet towels in front of a fan to keep as cool as possible.

Both my Ginger Beers in the old style kit are bottled and put away.

Hi Rosie

Check the How to Brew section, it contains many of PB2's best kit recipes.

Here is a linky to the Lager.

Brewed with the kit yeast the Lager can is actually an Ale. My three brews using the BE1 with the kit finished around 1.01 (1010) and were bottled after 1.2 (Pale Ale) up to 1.5 (Lager) weeks, my ferment temperatures were only 16'C.

Take another reading tomorrow if its the same it is ready to bottle. I try to bottle now after an absolute minimum of 2 weeks in the FV, but I understand that you are really keen, as I was, to get this brew bottled and then sampled in two weeks time.

Thanks Scottie. I will wait a little longer.

I have managed to keep the temp down to around 24 but it is a battle as the ambient temp has been around 27 -> 30.

I bought the first kit for my husband but couldn't get him started so I used it for Ginger Beer. [lol]

When he saw how easy it was he wanted to join in. The guy at the local brew shop warned him the Ginger beer may have tainted the FV. So I bought him one of the new Coopers kits.[innocent]

Now he wants me to make a batch of Stout. He has the can ready [joyful] Just waiting for the Lager to be bottled.

The original Brew vat currently has Pear Cider in it.

Rosie

Get him to check these out LinkyLink.

You will receive lots of advice about using specialty grain but for the first couple you should just get a feel for the process and the results. But if Hubby likes stout he is gonna [love] what grains will do for it. My Wife likes my latest, although she needs a splash of lemonade in it.

Tainted. It does have a strong smell and I only brewed 1 Alc GB and mixed 2 non alc GB in my DIY. It wasn't detrimental to my next beers but I was more concerned about how long it took to brew the Alc version and as I only had 1 FV at the time I got hold of an old style just for GBs.

Temps are a bit high for Ales (probably not GBs). The beer will get better the closer to 18'C you get. You really only need to maintain this for about 4-5 days. I used four PET (Coke and Pepsi)bottles of frozen water resting against the FV and covered with a rubber backed mat. It worked well.

Good Luck.

Hi Rosie B.

I have managed to keep the temp down to around 24 but it is a battle as the ambient temp has been around 27 -> 30.

Keep your eyes glued to the forum as I am about to conduct a trial experiment on a method of hopefully minimising the adverse effects on a fermenter that is subject to warmer ambient temperatures.

I am waiting on some products to arrive via mail & I should begin those experiments this week at some stage.

I will post my findings.

Anthony.

Hi Rosie B.

Keep your eyes glued to the forum as I am about to conduct a trial experiment on a method of hopefully minimising the adverse effects on a fermenter that is subject to warmer ambient temperatures.

I am waiting on some products to arrive via mail & I should begin those experiments this week at some stage.

I will post my findings.

Anthony.

I tried to find the pop up style party bottle cooler several have mentioned but could only find one on Amazon (hope it is ok to add a link here) It is a bit pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EKD7CQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0G9PGRHYVNENZE4R936N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I am thinking the foil car windscreen shade might help with cold packs

I am thinking the foil car windscreen shade might help with cold packs

That's pretty much what I'll be trialing. [biggrin]

I have a temperature probe that I will be able to give definite temperature results from the tests.

Anthony.

Further to this...

How long does the stuff in the tins stay good?

A friend who used to brew gave us a can of Mexican Cervesa and a can of Munich Lager. (Brewcraft Brand)he found in his cupboard. Both well beyond use by date. I figure the yeast is well and truly dead. But can the cans be used?

Rosie

Get him to check these out LinkyLink.

You will receive lots of advice about using specialty grain but for the first couple you should just get a feel for the process and the results. But if Hubby likes stout he is gonna [love] what grains will do for it.

Thanks Scottie

These instructions are a bit confusing. Or is it just me? Why do I start at 18L then have 20L and top up later to 20+ L Where does all the extra go?

Stouter Stout (18 litres)

STEP 1: Mix

C...You can make it better!

Ingredients

1.7kg Coopers Stout

1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

Nothing Else!

Method

Dissolve Coopers Stout and Brew Enhancer 2 in 2 litres of hot water.

Fill fermenter with cool water to the 18 litre mark and stir.

Sprinkle supplied yeast over the wort surface.

Ferment temperature should be in the range 21C-27C.

Bottle when specific gravity has reached 1.014 (or two readings the same over 24 hours).

STEP 2: Brew

During the first stage of fermentation dark brews may foam up through the airlock. This is a sign that the yeast is working effectively. To avoid this, fill the fermenter to 20 litres then top up, to the level (as per the recipe being followed) with cool boiled water once the foaming has subsided.

Hi Rosie

Fill to 18 litres only, don't add any more water at any stage.

I'm pretty sure that this comment in step two is a generic comment about brewing Stout and especially when using the old style vesels. The Krausen collar is designed to increase the headspace in the DIY FV and eliminate the need to top up. You won't have any trouble as long as you fit the collar.

Hi Rosie

Fill to 18 litres only, don't add any more water at any stage.

I'm pretty sure that this comment in step two is a generic comment about brewing Stout and especially when using the old style vesels. The Krausen collar is designed to increase the headspace in the DIY FV and eliminate the need to top up. You won't have any trouble as long as you fit the collar.

+1 If you have the DIY kit with the krausen collar you have no need to worry about the volcanic brew and can fill to 23 litres when you mix it all together.

Archived