Coopers Community

Carb drops = how much dex?

SteveL

I am planning bottling tonight (Coopers 740ml PET), usually use two Coopers carb drops per bottle.

Am certain I don't have enough drops for the 30 bottles, but I can't get to a shop today and unlikely to get to one for the next week or so due to work.

Any advice/theories on how much dextrose per 740ml bottle would do the trick? Or how much sugar per bottle?

Cheers

I add 4.5g of white sugar to a 740ml bottle. This is one CSR sugar cube and is perfect for most of my beers.

Do a search for bulk priming calculators and convert the sugar/dex amount from 23 litres to 740mls.

I seen how you said in the past about using sugar cubes but when I seen how much they were I was like carb drops are are cheaper so stuck to the carb drops for the moment anyhow. I am about to invest in a 3rd FV. Now that I have 2 I always have brews going at the same time to double my output so the idea of using the second FV for bulk priming went out the window so hopefully when I get my 3rd FV i don't have it full of beer at the same time as the others lol.[roll]

I add 4.5g of white sugar to a 740ml bottle. This is one CSR sugar cube and is perfect for most of my beers.

Do a search for bulk priming calculators and convert the sugar/dex amount from 23 litres to 740mls.

Tks Hairy...I'm estimating about a teaspoon and a bit then (see, I did say estimating!)

Cheers

I seen how you said in the past about using sugar cubes but when I seen how much they were I was like carb drops are are cheaper so stuck to the carb drops for the moment anyhow. I am about to invest in a 3rd FV. Now that I have 2 I always have brews going at the same time to double my output so the idea of using the second FV for bulk priming went out the window so hopefully when I get my 3rd FV i don't have it full of beer at the same time as the others lol.[roll]

A box of CSR sugar cubes costs $3.80 at Woolworths. A box contains 100 cubes so that is priming for 100 bottles.

A bag of carb drops costs about the same but at 2 drops per bottle will prime about 40 bottles (give or or take a few).

Tks Hairy...I'm estimating about a teaspoon and a bit then (see, I did say estimating!)

Cheers

Yep, that sounds right. It is about 4g per teaspoon.

It seems they are more expensive here I seen the only pack of sugar cubes was $4.90 something no kidding. I have a lot of stubbies so I kinda need the drops anyhow moving onto bulk priming in the coming weeks.

Plus the cubes are quite large and only just fit through the opening of a 740ml PET.

It seems they are more expensive here I seen the only pack of sugar cubes was $4.90 something no kidding. I have a lot of stubbies so I kinda need the drops anyhow moving onto bulk priming in the coming weeks.

Plus the cubes are quite large and only just fit through the opening of a 740ml PET.

Fair point I have a heap of long necks as well donated by my kind mega swill mates so would be useless with them too. All good looking forward to bulk priming save some money and having better control over the carb levels is what I am looking for.

Archived