Coopers Community

stout not foaming

coreys6

hey brewers 2 days ago i put down a coopers draught and a coopers stout, the draught is foaming of its tits but the stout has little if not no foam on the top (from what i hear in most cases it over flows) , everything was done the same (sanitize everything), yeast was pitched at 24* should i heat up the fermenter abit to get the yeast going or just let her go and do the patiance method

I recently did an APA pitching US-05 yeast rather then the kit yeast. It had very little foam after 36 hours, but then I started to see lots of activity in the FV. Can you see any activity in the FV? I have the Coopers DIY kit which is translucent, so I can shine a flashlight in the bottom of the FV and see all those suckers swirling around. I never really got a good krausen head with this batch. Give it another day or two.

hey brewers 2 days ago i put down a coopers draught and a coopers stout' date=' the draught is foaming of its tits but the stout has little if not no foam on the top (from what i hear in most cases it over flows) , everything was done the same (sanitize everything), yeast was pitched at 24* should i heat up the fermenter abit to get the yeast going or just let her go and do the patiance method [/quote']

I made an Irish Stout about a month age which had no Kraesen form at all. i posted a thread here and asked the same questions. i have started drinking it now and it is a lovely drop.

last night i put down an English stout and after only 12 hours the Krausen is huge. the only difference is the malt. both recipes are in the how to brew section. it could have something to do with the yeast, but is nothing to worry about as long as its fermenting.

No 2 brews are alike so sit back, relax and have another frothy in the meantime. Leave it for another 1 or 2 days and if there still appears to be no action then take a gravity reading. If this is the same as your OG then come back here.

[roll]

Cheers boys she's starting to get a bit more foam now and got a nice creamy smell coming up gonna wait till the 5th and 6th day and take a reading and see if they match up

Its Irish, so its always gonna do things a little different, eh Eoin[biggrin]

While not as important as AG brews (which have had all o2 removed) its still good practice and really good for the yeast if you ensure there is an adequate oxygen supply for the yeast.

When I brewed kits, I always, without fail, made sure of this and have it a damn good whisking for several minutes.

Your brew, your choice, also look into yeast rehydration if you want to be a good yeast daddy[roll]

While not as important as AG brews (which have had all o2 removed) its still good practice and really good for the yeast if you ensure there is an adequate oxygen supply for the yeast.

When I brewed kits, I always, without fail, made sure of this and have it a damn good whisking for several minutes.

Your brew, your choice, also look into yeast rehydration if you want to be a good yeast daddy[roll]

+1 I aerate my wort every time for just kits I do my hop boils but that is only a few litres at max from my second batch of beer and onwards every batch I aerate the crap out of it prior to adding the yeast and so far so good. I like to try and keep my yeasty's healthy and give them as much food as they need.

Edit: I have considered getting an Oxygen tank I seen this method being used on Brewing TV

Cheers boys she's starting to get a bit more foam now and got a nice creamy smell coming up gonna wait till the 5th and 6th day and take a reading and see if they match up

Its Irish, so its always gonna do things a little different, eh Eoin[biggrin]

It's all about the journey...

too right eoin' date=' ye shes got some good foam going now just took a bit to kick off but i did wrap a blanket around the fv so whether or not that started her up [/quote']

What temperature is it sitting on?

You want to aim for around 18C.

Archived