Coopers Community

Fermenting much lower than expected

MikeyBycrikey

Howdy all. Brewed Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, all grain, missed my gravity by a bit starting at 1.039. Got to the dry hop part, tasted a bit everyday from day seven onwards. At day 10 it was definitely ready. Kegged and took a gravity reading when my keg was done, gravity read 1.002. It doesn't taste horrible, but considering I was aiming for 1.011, does this mean I've got some rogue yeast eating my sugars on the sly, or is it possible to ferment that low with real beer. Mashed at 64C though it may have slipped a degree or two lower due to alcohol based user error.

Ok had time to calm down and google my problem. Seems some other people have had similar experiences with US-05. Everything will be just fine, hydrometer reads 1.000 in tap water (though my backup coopers one reads .995. Seems I may have mashed a little low.

Next question. How the fig do I stop this coopers web site from making me log in every time I open the forum. I check the "Remember Me" box to no avail. Using Srware Iron browser.

Hi Mikey - I'll jump in at your last question. Try logging in from an area of the site that you don't frequent (something like The Brewers Guild Home section should do the trick.

You should then stay logged in...it worked for me.

Thanks for the tip Muddy. I can log in at home easily enough but I get the same problem at work and I do log in from the same link all the time.

...I reckon you have answered your own question now Mikey, a low mash temp will give you a dryer beer.

Archived