Coopers Community

AVB how much is too much

Mainiac

I like to raise the AVB on my brews because I like drinking less

volume so I don't get so bloated.

Do you guys normally stick to the ABV of the particular style you are brewing or do you raise it up? And if so how much can you raise it without ruining the flavor?

no

but I guess each of my brews these days are designed to style, if the ABV gets over for the style then its the next one, ie an APA that is over in ABV can quickly become an AIPA with suitable adjustments to hop rates etc.

how much raising are you talking about?

If you are getting bloated, consider adjusting your priming rates.

Yob

I like to raise the AVB on my brews because I like drinking less

volume so I don't get so bloated.

Do you guys normally stick to the ABV of the particular style you are brewing or do you raise it up? And if so how much can you raise it without ruining the flavor?

Hey Mainiac, tell the truth, you just like getting trashed quicker[lol]

Why dont you experiment with with extra dex, the style and flavour may change a bit and you can always adjust quantity to taste. one of the brains trust on this forum sent me a program that tells you the ABV. you can add or subtract different fermentables and it will give the ABV before you brew. Maybe Yob has it, i cant remember who gave it to me.

It's freezing the beer, then defrosting it,

The alcohol melts first, filters down through the still frozen water, bringing the flavor with it.

So if you leave half of the original volume as frozen water, you pretty much double the strength.

Brewdog do this 4 times to get their 32% Tactical Nuclear Penguin (stout) and 41% Sink the Bismark (IPA)

a couple of warnings though...

1 - it's not legal to do in some places as it is basically a cold distill.

2 - flavors are super concentrated. If the beer was bitter, it will be super bitter. Coupled with the high ABV it will knock the socks off your mouth.

I believe it becomes "super strong" because your beer's main ingredient is water. When you remove the water, in the form of ice, then you leave behind nearly everything else. Almost similar to a can of goop but obviously a different process and end constancy.

Grab a beer bottle and monitor it in the freezer until it is frozen, then defrost some of it and pour yourself a beer.

Even though this is a very simplified way but at least you should taste a bit of difference. Must remember to leave enough head space in the bottle to do this though.

Indeedy, just like concentrating wort into beer kit 'goop', but using cold instead of heat to take the water out.

After brewing, the kit sugar's already turned into alcohol so instead of a sugar+flavor concentrate you end up with alcohol+flavor concentrate.[joyful]

I find the flavor too intense to be enjoyable, so use it as a flavor for cooking in stews, caseroles, etc but i'm sure that something good could be made with practice/time...

You could also do it like an EISBOCK where it's frozen in a larger container and the ice is scooped off.

That would increase the ABV less dramatically and keep it truer to the original beer.[rightful]

Applejack is similar, but made from cider.

goes through it all.

Finally, if you're gonna freeze beer in a bottle, make sure that its not a glass bottle.

1.5 liters beer in a 2 liter soda bottle (like in Secue's video) works well.

Archived