Coopers Community

Exciting news!

Cuchuliann

Greetings brewing enthusiasts! First time back in a while and I have some exciting news - yes we are getting a new fridge - which means of course that I can have the old one for brewing! I have been keen to use a fridge and thermostat to control fermenting temperature. I have seen on this forum in the past talk of how you can purchase a thermostat(?)wire it up to a fridge and run the fridge at the perfect brewing temp....can anyone out there help me with some basic questions - where do I purchase one? how do you install it? can you wire it up to any old fridge? thanks!

I've just joined the ranks of owning a brewing fridge too. Certainly makes it easier. Set and forget. The fermenter is out of the way too, so I am more likely to leave the beer in there for the recommended 14 days or more before I bottle.

I have an STC-1000 for temperature control. I bought the unit off ebay for $23 and wired it myself. There are heaps of instructions on the net and it is fairly easy. Having said that though, if you aren't confidant wiring 240V power, I would get all the bits together, mount them in a suitable box, and get a sparky to wire it up for you. If you do do it yourself then at least get a power point tester and make sure your earth is there and the active and neutral have the correct polarity.

The unit goes between the fridge and the wall outlet and controls the temperature by having a sensor in the fridge and switching the 240V on and off to the fridge to control temperature.

Damian.

Hi Cuchuliann.

I wired the same unit (STC-1000) DamianM2 is referring to in his post, to my fridge just yesterday. Most good brew shops are carrying them these days it seems, if not see DamianM2 about where he got his from on E-Bay.

Don't panic, you're not actually wiring the unit into the fridge. You are actually just doing some internal wiring inside the unit to attach an input & output power source from two halves of an everyday extension cord.

I'm not an electrician's backside, but it was a piece of cake to wire it up. A little tedious at times but very straight forward.

Should you choose this unit, simply purchase a standard 3 metre extension cord, cut it in half & use the following diagram to wire it up.

STC-1000.jpg

It's that simple. I Hope that helps.

Beer.

We have an old fridge down near my 'brewery' area. It's stashed full of the olds' wine at the moment, but maybe I can convince them to move it somewhere else so I can use it as a brewing fridge. [devil]

Shouldn't be too difficult to wire up though.. me and Dad built my guitar amp and speaker cab.[lol]

Beerlust, it looks as if you have only wired one side up, either heating or cooling, I can't remember now.

Cuchuliann, I'd suggest doing a search on this forum for instructions. I do recall posting several times a very easy to follow diagram how to do it. If you can't be stuffed or not competent then I suggest purchasing one from Keg King already done for you for around $70.

Here is my first one I made. However it did change for my second and third

stc1000b.jpg

I can't find a pic of my 2nd one at the moment sorry but here is the 3rd one I made. This one enables me to disconnect everything from the box and also has a 240V plug with on/off switch so I can plug in something like a fan or anything else.

and.... below is the diagram I was referring to earlier

8049522354_2b32019e73.jpg

Funny thing here, I seem to be talking to myself [pinched] Nevertheless, you may be interested in this also...

Tony, you'll wonder why you didn't in the first place now. I am waiting delivery of my 3rd one and only yesterday just bought all the supplies from JayCar. I am wiring this one slightly different than the first two and it will cost a little more but will go something like....

1 of these for $3.95 (mains power in)

product_2236.jpg

3 of these for $7.95ea (for Heat and Cold source and a 240v mains)

product_8032.jpg

1 of these for $3.50 (to switch on/off power spare mains socket)

product_10019.jpg

1 of these for $2.95 for sensor probe out

product_2446.jpg

1 of these at $28.95 (The Box)

product_980.jpg

I even bought a Dremel and wish I had done so before I did my first temp controller.

My previous one is on my kegerator but I am finding it a PITA to move the kegerator with cables and cords hanging out of it. With this one I can just pull out all the leads/cables from the box and move it with no issues whatsoever [cool]

and... THIS LINK will give you a heap more reading and will answer all your questions. lol, I reckon that should keep you going for a while [joyful]

Sorry to interrupt you here Bill (You seem to have quite a rhythm going). . . [lol]

Beerlust' date=' it looks as if you have only wired one side up, either heating or cooling...[/quote']

Your assumptions are correct. I only have the cooling side wired up to my brew fridge. I may add in the extension for the heating side come next Autumn/Winter, but being as we are in Spring, heading into Summer, there is no immediate rush.

I currently have my heating pad in a top-exposed wood cabinet of sorts & I was able to gain fairly good temps through the colder times earlier this year in that environment. I'll probably still wire it up next year for use in the fridge though. [wink]

Beer.

Archived