Coopers Community

Next brew suggestions?

Stevodevo

Hi all,

Just after some suggestions for my next brew. First was Coopers Lager. I've currently got a Fruit Salad Ale in the fermenter and debating what to do after that. Originally I was considering attempting something slightly more adventurous with steeped grains along the lines of the recipes for White Rabbit Dark Ale found here (http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=4027) , but now I'm back to taking baby steps and need suggestions for a simple kit beer in the "style" of WRDA. Probably after that I'll start trying my hand at grains.

I'm not after a clone, but more or less just something that is a bit different and preferably a dark beer. I've only just really started enjoying beer (I usually prefer cider) and some examples of commercial beers I like are White Rabbit Dark Ale, James Squire One Fifty Lashes, Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Thanks

browse the "how to brew", good discriptions and instructions and all tried and tested. Give the Irish Ale a go if you like a flavoursome and satisfying beer. there is so much choice that i bought a second FV so that i can get through them all quicker. a few things i do to get good a head is, 1. Always pour into a perfectly clean glass that has been stored in the freezer. i have at least 6 all the time. 2. put slightly more sugar or dex in the bottles as a primer. a level teaspoon is recommended, but mine are always slightly heaped and i,ve never had an issue with bottlebombs. 3. leave to condition for at least a month, 3 weeks at room temp and 1 week in fridge. this is real bloody hard, but patience will pay dividends.

Good brewing[joyful]

Hiya Stevo.

One of our forum regulars (AdamH) has a very nice Little Creatures Pale Ale variant recipe that you can find HERE.

BrendanS8 also has a super recipe over in a thread I started a month or so ago. Just scroll down a little bit to his first post to view the recipe.

BrendanS8's recipe is next to brew on my hit list. You can find it HERE.

A number of the guys posted some of their favourite recipes in that thread, & (as I promised), I plan to start working through all of them.

Give em a go! [biggrin]

Beer.

You could try the SMOTY Ale recipe from the How to Brew section. It's simple as to make. Chuck in a tin of OS Dark Ale, a tin of Coopers Pale Ale, both kit yeasts. I'm not sure if there's any added hops or extra malt, so best to check the page. But I made that one earlier in the year and it was a top drop!

You could try the SMOTY Ale recipe from the How to Brew section. It's simple as to make. Chuck in a tin of OS Dark Ale' date=' a tin of Coopers Pale Ale, both kit yeasts. I'm not sure if there's any added hops or extra malt, so best to check the page. But I made that one earlier in the year and it was a top drop! [/quote']

Cheers kelsey, you just solved my what next dilemma. after the lawnmower and Irish, SMOTY it will be. it looks delicious, what does it compare with?

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea[lol] I suppose something along the lines of Tooheys Old but with a lot more flavour.

I hadn't really tried any dark ales until I started brewing again and wanted to experiment and try different types of beer, so a lot of them I've tried for the first time have been my own brews.

Archived