Coopers Community

Carbonation sugar

DylanC5

Hey all, I did my second batch about 3 weeks ago and wanted to bottle it today but I only have 24 carbonation drops left! So I was wondering if I could use raw sugar or brown sugar for the others? and how much should I add for 375 glass bottles and the PET bottles? or should I just wait until I can go down and get more drops?

Cheers!

use the carbonation drops in the glass bottles and sugar in the PETS. that way if you are a bit heavy handed with the sugar in one or 2 of the PETS, you wont have the potential for bottle bombs going off. personally i prefer to use sugar or dex rather than drops. i just find that the beer seems crisper and the head is better and lasts longer, but it could be that i do put slightly more in than i would using drops[unsure]

I think I may go out and get a sugar scoop and some dex and some white sugar. Do you guys use different types of sugars for different types of beer?

Also after bottling do you guys shake the bottle a bit to get the yeast going again? My pale ale seems a bit flat after almost 3 weeks with one carb drop per 375ml bottle. Every 3 - 4 days I would roll the bottle around a little as one of my friends told me to do but still low on the fizz.

Cheers.

Well I put the dex/water mix in first because then it mixes around in the beer during transfer. I normally mix the required amount of dex with about 300mL of boiling water when I wake up on bottling day, by the time I'm ready to bottle it has cooled down.

But generally I probably end up with almost the entire batch, as I'm quite careful when tilting the primary FV to not disturb the trub too much, and given I only have to tilt it once rather than numerous times if bottling from primary, there's much less disturbance. I'd guess there'd be about a stubby worth left in it.

But generally I probably end up with almost the entire batch, as I'm quite careful when tilting the primary FV to not disturb the trub too much, and given I only have to tilt it once rather than numerous times if bottling from primary, there's much less disturbance. I'd guess there'd be about a stubby worth left in it.

i dont like wasting a drop. after i have tipped the FV a bit to get everything and i get down to the soupy stuff. i put the last of it into any old sterilised bottle and put in in an old box with the dreg bottles from my other brews. i call this my party box and will enjoy a few mystery beers in a few months

There is no need to shake the bottle to help with carbonation. Even though I personally tend to invert it once or twice (just a habit) it is not neccessary as provided the correct temps are met then the yeast will still do their job anyway.

Archived