Coopers Community

hopping for the first time

Nick

after much advice and encouragement from the learned gents of this forum, i have finally started my relationship with hop additions. i used cascade in a lager last night and boiled 15gm of pellets for 12 minutes and steeped 15gm for a further 5 minutes. the aroma when boiling and when added to the FV was deightful, but this morning i have a pea coloured mat floating on top of the brew, a strong hoppy aroma and fermentation seems to not have begun yet. is all this normal and should i have strained the hop soup?

Yep you should have strained the "hop soup". Nevertheless, nothing to worry about yet regarding fermentation. It will happen just wait a little longer.

Because you didn't strain the hops, it is likely that your beer will turn out not as planned and be a little bitter at first but time in the bottle will help this. Also if you have a method to CC it then I suggest doing so for about a week a few days after reaching FG.

Gav beat me to it. [pinched]

Hey Bill, I would have thought that as soon as the hop soup hit the cooler liquid in the FV, any bittering would cease? Keen to know where I'm wrong with that as usual. [happy]

There is no mention of a chilling method. The hops would have continued to release their oils etc until they were chilled.

It would also upset the desired outcome for the dry hops.

A Hydrometer measures the ratio of the density of liquid to the density of water. By adding hops in any form will not add density to the wort so I can't see how a Hydrometer reading would differ.

In a brewers case, the hydrometer reads the density of the wort with the added sugars, preferably dissolved. When the yeast consume the sugars then this lowers the density of the wort enabling the success of using a Hydrometer. Thus when the sugars have been consumed by the yeast we then get a consistent reading which in turn indicates that it is safe to bottle and all the sugars have been processed.

No need to strain the hops, they will eventually fall to the bottom of your fermenter. I'd leave it for another day before starting to worry about your yeast/fermentation. Cheerz

she's bubbling like a b**tard, so alls good with the world.

PS love the name old mate[lol]

Archived