Coopers Community

Rakau & Saunders

Hi guys & gals.

Just a couple of quickies. . .

1). Has anyone on the forum used the Rakau(NZ) hops before? If so, what type of brew did you use it in, & what did you think of the flavours it produced?

2). Has anyone used the supermarket sold Saunders Malt Extract 1KG in a brew before? If so what did you think of its quality etc..etc.?

* Exert for BillK & Yob: Yes I did attempt to source info from sources outside this forum (as I often do).

See proof below. [biggrin]

AussieHomeBrewer Link 1

AussieHomeBrewer Link 2

Older Talk Coopers Thread

None of the above links provided anything conclusive one way or the other.

I'll be interested in any info.

Thanks in advance,

Beer.

lol... well done Beer. However, you obviously didn't do a search within this forum.... Saunders Malt has been discussed here numerous times [pinched]

HERE is an interesting read that went OT at times but still worth the read.

HERE is a pretty extensive search on this forum [biggrin]

kudos for making the effort though [cool]

To answer your questions, in my case:

1/ no

2/ no

Can't help much more as I have no experience in either, sorry.

Good job BillK.

One of your links provided the answer on the Saunders Malt Extract. So thanks.

For those interested, I thought this exert explained what I needed to hear. . .

Hey mate. It was actually finished a while back(I thought I would let that one die people were getting upset) . The english came out really well. The last two saunders EB were shared with a lovely English lass and she thought it was great beer(her only complaint was it had to much head and we had to wait a minute whilst pooring)!

The Aussie IPA I made with it also was freaking amazing(easily my best beer yet)...everyone was fighting for it hehehe. I've actually just dropped another Aussie IPA(and got some T-58 this time too) with the saunders malt. I honestly cant tell the difference between that malt and coopers amber...same colour same taste. I'm finding its a good thing to use when you dont want to add a full 1.5kg of liquid malt I made another EB with coopers malt and it was nearly identical in taste as in...exatcly the same,so I dont see a problem with substituting and using 500g light dry and 1kg of saunders(as I have found the flavour profile is near identical)! I would recommend it if you cant get to the LHBS and need some liquid malt, it works a treat. . .

Thanks again BillK. Now get to work on that Rakau hops! [lol] (just kidding!)

P.S. What was the deal with you & 'The Shmoo'? Butted heads there in a thread I read.

Beer.

He did come out with some strange ideas. One being that yeast is a plant, when in fact it's a fungus. LOL. Anyway, I've never used Saunders Malt. I don't care how great these beers supposedly turned out, I'm sticking with proper brewing malt. Or grains in my case now. Be interesting to see what those hops are though.

'A new and relatively unknown hop variety that is a unique offering from New Zealand. Bursting with a lot of the typical New Zealand fruity character with tropical aroma highlights of passionfruit, mango, and peach. An excellent hop for late hop additions where a prominent hop character is desired in beers such as Pale Ales, ESB, and IPA's. Developed as a dual purpose hop with alpha acids in the 10% range, but delivering "soft" bitterness with low cohumulone levels of less than 25% of alpha levels. Similar to Admiral, Amarillo, or Summit.'

http://www.breworganic.com/new-zealand-rakau-whole-hops.aspx

Sounds nice [biggrin]

I used 50 grams of Rakau to dry hop an American Pale Ale which also used Nelson sauvin, zythos, and Columbus for bittering and flavour.

Quite a big amount to dry hop with, but it smells great! Very fruity aromas like peach, passionfruit and summer stonefruit. Like the description says, It will go great in hoppy American style beers.

You could also use it for bittering too. Heavy late additions would still give you some good bittering, flavour, and aroma. [happy]

This bloke has brewed an ale with the saunders stuff but I don't reckon it would be any good he also has an update of kegging it but no taste test yet I reckon it would be ****and he didn't use enough hops IMO http://youtu.be/PzbX5TsuYM0

[sick] You have got to be kidding... A mixture of Copper Tun / Briglow and Saunders...

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Hiya guys & gals.

I must admit, I just started laughing when I began reading the replies about "Saunders Malt Extract" posted in this thread. I obviously re-opened an old wound (for a better phrase). [lol]

Based on those views, I won't be throwing it in any of my brews anytime soon.

Thanks Eoin & Reuben for your input on the Rakau(NZ) hops.

I had actually read the flavour profile of the hop prior to posting this thread, so sorta knew what types of brews it may be used in. You can't beat first hand knowledge though. Companies often OVER-rate their own products to help drive sales. The real proof is in the tasting. Reuben, your application is exactly how I planned to match it, in with the Nelson Sauvin.

I'm gonna hit up all 3 of the brewshops I frequent, to try & get hold of some of it, as currently it is not on any of their lists.

Thanks for your input guys. [happy]

Beer.

He did come out with some strange ideas. One being that yeast is a plant' date=' when in fact it's a fungus. LOL. Anyway, I've never used Saunders Malt. I don't care how great these beers supposedly turned out, I'm sticking with proper brewing malt. Or grains in my case now. Be interesting to see what those hops are though.[/quote']

Firstly [lol] [lol] [lol] About the yeast being a plant that was a classic. Secondly +1 to use of proper brewing malts the cheaper stuff might be appealing cost wise but no doubt it will show in the beer quality I am eagerly awaiting for that bloke on youtube to do a taste test I reckon he will make one of his weird faces when the beer doesn't taste all that good but he will try to find any positive in it he does with Tooheys and VB [lol] [lol] [lol]

It was rather. And considering he's supposed to be a horticulturalist, he should know the difference. I studied it for 3 or 4 years and got my certificate, and in my line of it, fungi were the sorts of organisms we were trying to kill most of the time, because they hinder a plant's growth and sometimes kill the plant.

If that bloke can find positives in Tooheys and VB then his Saunders ale or whatever crap it is he'll probably think is the best beer ever.[lol] I'm planning to do an all grain version of my amber ale next. Then maybe do a couple of English ales. [biggrin]

This Saunders thing is becoming a bit like a Status Quo song. If it keeps on going Paul (PB2) might end up making it a sticky [roll] .

As for the original Saunders' Man (StooBrew) it is easy to see where he is coming from. It' all about enthusiasm. You start of making your fist kit & kilo, for some of us its the Lager and BE1. Before you listen to anyone else on the forum you reckon its just about the best thing you've tasted, and the hour or so prep and mix was well worth it. You tell all your mates, you've gotta you've gotta get into home brewing.

Then someone puts you onto malt, now this is the best beer ever. Hops [love] , Specialty grains [biggrin] , all extract [cool] and AG [rightful] , each new brew is better than the last.

Having gone to the effort of finding Saunders Malt in the supermarket and making up the brew, I sincerely doubt that StooBrew was ever going to report back with anything other than "You can't tell the difference" [pinched] .

As for the Saunders Malt story all I can say is \u201cAnother End \u2026\u2026.\u201d

I'm gonna hit up all 3 of the brewshops I frequent, to try & get hold of some of it, as currently it is not on any of their lists.

Thanks for your input guys. [happy]

Beer.

If your LHBSs can't help, I recommend using Ross at Craftbrewer. He is very competitive, always happy to help and has a wealth of knowledge and do have a high customer following due to his excellent customer service he provides.

Disclaimer: no affiliation just a very happy customer.

Archived