Coopers Community

My first brew...

Huxtable

Firstly, hello, I'm fairly new here although have been lurking for a couple of weeks :D

Secondly, I do realise that probably EVERY virgin brewer asks similar questions to what I'm about to... please excuse my newbie-itis...

... But I'm a little concerned with how my first brew is going. I put it together last Wednesday night... exactly 5 days ago. Thought I did a careful job with cleaning, sanitising, etc. Used the Original Series Lager kit, with Brew Enhancer 2, monitored water temperature to be low 20's, etc.

First concern came when lid wouldn't screw on the plastic fermenter. After 30 minutes of panic, I found that after taking out the rubber O-ring, the lid went on. However, the next day I realised the lid wasn't on as tight as I thought it was :(

I've had NO bubbles in the airlock at all, though I do know that doesn't necessarily mean the worst...

today, Because I was fed up with the stupid lid, I've used gladwrap with the o-ring to seal.

I have been taking hydrometer readings, however don't particularly trust them (a bit hard to be certain with foam etc). Initial reading was about 1040, is currently about 1018 - after I thought it was 1010 a day or two ago?

I guess as I have no experience doing this, I'm hoping everything is fine... I'm keen to be patient. But hoping it's doing it's thing.

Please see attached a photo I just took... the foam on top has never been all that much, I was expecting a big mushroom head?

for gods sake put the lid back on..

from that photo the yeast was more active and has slowed.. if it tastes OK then let it be for a few days then take another reading

1018 is still too high for it... why did you "expect the krausen to be higher? Each brew (yeast) reacts differently and are not predictable.

also.. Welcome [ninja]

Am I about to get told off for taking the Hydrometer readings directly from the fermenter? ... Menowthinks it's not the proper way to do it (although it was sanitised).

I only expected Krausen to be higher because I was expecting it to literally bubble away, but that hasn't really been the case. As a first timer, I wouldn't really know precisely what to expect though [innocent]

Welcome aboard Huxtable.

It all seems to be going OK. Just relax and give it more time (and stop playing with it, the beer that is).

Am I about to get told off for taking the Hydrometer readings directly from the fermenter?

Yes, only do this if you don't have a tap as there is a greater risk of an infection. I assume you have a tap on the FV.

If I took a sample' date=' should it taste a bit like flat beer?[/quote']

Yes, warm flat beer.

is that stating the obvious?

Yes.

Just relax mate and let it do its thing.

Oh, and learn how to use a hydrometer. To de-gas the liquid either let it sit there for a while or transfer the liquid back and forth between two glasses a handful of times.

Hi Huxtable. Welcome to the forum.

The only positive thing I can say to you on this first brew, is to put it down to experience. I have no idea how often you've opened the fermenter since the yeast was pitched, how much time elapsed before you reopened the fermenter lid, whether it has fully fermented or not?...etc...etc.

All I would try to do is help you alleviate the mistakes you made on this brew, to make sure you don't repeat them in the next.

1. It sounded like you attained a good start temperature when pitching the yeast. Good job. make sure you emulate that next brew.

2. Put the rubber O-ring back in the fermenter lid, & simply be more patient when tightening the lid on your next brew.

3. When your brew is secured in your fermenter, the 1st true sign of fermentation you need to be looking for is the appearance & development of a Krausen ring, not the sound of bubbling. If you see a krausen, you know fermentation is happening.

4. If you see the krausen developing, leave your fermenter alone. Yes, LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't open it, don't take any hydrometer readings for at least 7 days. If after 7 days you really want to take a hydrometer reading, expell some of the brew from the tap into a tube or vile wide enough to suspend the hydrometer, not by opening the lid.

5. Once 2 weeks have elapsed & you have a stable SG reading, it is safe to assume fermentation has finished, & I would then secondary ferment/bottle.

I hope that helps.

Beer.

Thanks for the advice folks. After continuously telling myself the importance of being patient, and not falling into that trap, seems I failed! [innocent] I do a lot of bread baking so thought I'd have that virtue sussed!

Looks like I made the mistake of getting advice from my mate, who's done about 4 or 5 brews, and produced good tasting beer. He follows the instructions on the kit to the T - meaning he's bottling within a week or so. When I told him I was planning on waiting 2 weeks, he thought I was nuts [biggrin] And he pops the Hydrometer into the fermenter daily. Guess he's just got lucky so far!

(and yes, I have got a tap, so I can do it the proper way).

I think I've learnt a lot from this, and it only makes me want to get it right even more.

Guess I continue to leave it another week or so, before deciding if it's worth keeping or not? Or should I just ditch it now?

Thanks for the help anyway, much appreciated!

Or should I just ditch it now?

God no!

Don't ditch it unless it is infected. Taste it before bottling and if it doesn't make you gag then bottle away.

OK - my usual high standards might have to be put on hold [biggrin]

.... I love watching the krausen from a day to day basis just out of curiosity and gives me a rough idea how its fermenting.

Yeah I have two DIY, see through the top pretty well. Also observation allows comparison, and considering this is my first crack at re-cultured Coopers copmmercial yeast I have a keen interest.

Anyway its 3 1/2 days and the Krausen has subsided to a nice layer of bubbles on the surface. On track for an SG test on Friday and a taste, then I can decide whether or not to pitch another brew using the same yeast.

PS

Guess I continue to leave it another week or so' date=' before deciding if it's worth keeping or not? Or should I just ditch it now?.[/quote']

Its your first brew Hux and needs to be bottled. Take SG at day 8 and day 10 if they are the same bottle when your patience gives out and get the second one going. If you taste it and don't want to spit it straight out (like Hairy said) then 1st up it'll be good enough.

First off, welcome Huxtable!

I shuttered so many times when I read this thread!

First off do not listen to your mate who has only done a few brews. He is doing things substandard and is only a matter of time before he stuffs up, it is inevitable!

When you take your hydrometer reading ensure that you degas the sample first to get a correct reading. Just spin the hydrometer a few times and tap it to dislodge the bubbles.

Never take the lid/gladwrap off, or put anything in your brew without a valid reason to do so. i.e. adding hops is a valid reason, putting in your Hydrometer for a reading is not.

If you leave your brew for about 14 days, you will make better beer than your mate who is leaving his for about 7.

Anyhow, we all learn by our mistakes and hopefully your next one will be engaged with better practices.

meaning he's bottling within a week or so. When I told him I was planning on waiting 2 weeks' date=' he thought I was nuts [biggrin']

My beer usually stays in the FV from 2 - 3 weeks depending on time available to bottle. Leaving it longer is much better than getting it out in a week.

Listen to these wise men (not me, the other ones) on this forum and you will learn heaps!!!

I think the next generation FVs should have time-lock lids.

After two weeks you hear a 'Ding!' and you know you're good to go [biggrin]

But seriously, well done on your first brew. If it's tasting liek flat beer you're on the right path.

I hope nothing bad comes from all the fiddling and that your first brew knocks the socks off your friend's.

Just throw some hops into the next batch dry and you'll certainly be miles ahead of your friend already [wink]

that your first brew knocks the socks off your friend's

Your first beer is always awesome and goes down well.

It isn't until much later, and after several better brews, that you realise it wasn't that good after all.

I'm not trying to put a downer on it, just enjoy it.

Your first beer is always awesome and goes down well.

exception to the rule was my first which tasted like arse.. and I knew it [pouty]

fermentation coincided with the first heatwave of summer, no temp control and too much DEX [sick]

I think it fermented at about 29'c gods it was terrible [lol]

that was a while ago now, and Im a much better Yeast daddy these days [innocent]

Ha ha [biggrin]

I would have still drank the lot; force it down and convince myself of how much better my hand crafted beer was compared to the commercial variety.

I am still able to delude myself; hence the reason I still enjoy my own beers [innocent]

exception to the rule was my first which tasted like arse.. and I knew it [pouty]

I am starting to wonder about this forum now... people who know what arse tastes like and people thinking something is yeast poop so tastes it to see.

Dear oh dear oh dear..... [alien]

Ha ha [biggrin]

I would have still drank the lot; force it down and convince myself of how much better my hand crafted beer was compared to the commercial variety.

I am still able to delude myself; hence the reason I still enjoy my own beers [innocent]

+1 [lol] [lol] [lol]

Archived