Coopers Community

Dead Mouse Pale Ale

Hello all had an interesting exprience today while brewing im sure the title says that.

I was getting ready to start my pale ale when i opened the cupboard to grab my brew pot and found a dead mouse in it with poo droppings [sick] since the pot was only washed after soup a few days ago i knew it couldnt have been there too long.

I washed the pot in hot soapy water a few times after removing the mouse of cource [lol] then i filled the pot half way with cold water and added 2 milton tablets (NRS).

After a 15 min soak i emptied and continued brewing.

1 Can INT APA

1.25kg LDM

20 GM Centennial Pellets

35 GM Amarillo Pellets

Kit yeast

23 Litres

I done a 4 litre boil with the Light Dry Malt added the centennial

once started boiling for 20 minutes. I added the Amarillo at 10 minutes and decided to add 1/2 tablet irish moss at 5 mins. At flame out i threw in an old APA yeast as nutrient and pitched the new one into FV at 26 degrees mainly caus my kid was hastling me couldnt wait. Now 2 hrs later its at 22 dropping nicely.

All in all i think this dead mouse pale ale will be a winner despite my first scare when getting pot out i hope it hasnt given my brew bad luck. cheers all

I agree could have been alot worse for a while i was worried about the fact it had even been in there. As i thought we wash and sanatise things for a reason and by giving it this name if anything does go wrong at least the name can back it up.

I hope it turns out nice i know the amarillo will go down well for me its the same as the brew i just finished drinking only 15 gm more amarillo as i thought the other lacked some rillo [biggrin]

Hiya Sir Jimmius.

The name "Dead Mouse Pale Ale" doesn't sound very nice. If you handed me a glass of it & called it by that name I'd probably say something like "WTF??". If you were then game enough to tell me why you called it that, I'd probably then [sick] [sick]. . . [sick] !!

I would advise taking a more subtle name perhaps like. . .

Black Death Pale Ale

or. . .

Bubonic Pale Ale.

[lol] [biggrin]

Beer.

ohh Sir Jimmius, I forgot to add. . .

Even though the first mouthful will be singularly the MOST nervous mouthful of anything you have ever placed in your mouth in your entire life, I'd simply say, don't worry, the Amarillo you added should mask any potential "mousey-like" flavours that may have been present.

[lol] [biggrin]

Beer.

Thanks for the label Adam would be a nice touch to the finished product. As for worrying about weather other people will drink it once i tell them what its called its not a real issue. I only really have 1 mate i hang out with outside of work and he loves everything i brew and only drinks a beer if it has hop flavour.

As it was said im sure the 35 gm Amarillo at 10 min will be plenty to mask any flavour even dead mouse [lol]

first mouthful will be singularly the MOST nervous mouthful of anything you have ever placed in your mouth in your entire life

I see you've never been to jail, boy... [innocent]

Embrace the dead mouse. When the zombie apocalypse starts you'll be happy that your Dead Mouse Ale has immunized you alone, giving the ability to survive by feasting on wild rodents.

Dead Mouse Pale Ale [lol] ...love the name! I like a beer with a story behind it.

and for this mornings reminder not to drink coffee while reading the forum (it is still coming out my nose - I really need to tone down my laughter reflex) the award goes to the good lord......

I see you've never been to jail' date=' boy...[/quote']

• 4 weeks later...

Well the verdict is in i just had a 500 ml grolsh tester from this brew absolutely brilliant IMO. Then why wouldnt it be with enough hops in there to give it character. I also tasted my first partial mash a few days ago. Both these brews were my first experience with irish moss and although against it for so long im glad i tried it. Im not sure if its just me but have done similar recepies as the daead mouse one before but for some reason just looks and tastes better.

I find it difficult to post back as my smartphone [bandit] as its called no matter how many flash player upgades i do it does not support the reply option [pinched] so i have to wait until can get on a computer. I must say im an irish moss fan i done a canadian blonde with malt and hops and no irish moss last week so will be able to compare more

Had another pint of this last night getting more of the grapefruit flavour from amarillo coming through absolutely fantastic. I might leave another 2 weeks before try another see if it ballances out more. I wonder if it was the dead mouse in the pot to begin with thats given it this awesome flavour [pinched] just got lucky i suppose

Archived