Coopers Community

Coopers IPA - Little Fermentation

MarkB38

Yesterday I put together a Coopers IPA, and 24 hours later there is very little foam (just a thin layer). This is my fifth Coopers brew, and the least amount of fermentation I've had in the morning. I did an IPA before and I think there was quite a bit of foam after 24 hours. I gave the FV a bit of a shake to see if that will liven thinks up. The only difference from my last IPA was an additional 500g DME and the hop tea (see below). Is this unusual, and is there anything I should do (other than be patient [biggrin] )? Thanks in advance.

Coopers IPA Kit

1kg Coopers DME

500g Coopers Dextrose

Hop tea with 1/2 oz Cascade pellets

Filled to 23L

Yeast from kit

Pitched at 24c

Mark

I must admit, pitching at 24c with the kit yeast would usually be rockin by now, but every brew is different and I've heard of some taking 48 hours to show any signs at all. I use US-05 with this kit and it can sometimes take a while.

The fact that there's a layer there is a good sign and I bet you a shiny dollar that she'll be going in the morning as long as temps are good.

The hop tea and DME should not affect the yeast (happy to be corrected.) Just be patient mate, the IPA is a great kit. [love] [love]

24 hours is too early to be worrying about it. I've had brews take 36-48 hours to show any signs. Every brew is different, for example my last two brews I did, the latest one which is still in the FV was cracking along with a heap of foam the day after I pitched the yeast, the one before that took about 2 or 3 days. I don't think you've got anything to worry about. [biggrin]

Yes, I saw that disclaimer about yeast with high gravity beers. But I wasn't sure whether this one was that "high". I measured the OG at 1043. Anyway, I'm having my morning coffee now, and I got a mess of foam, and I can see all those suckers still swirling around.

Archived