Coopers Community

Coopers Mexican Cerveza - Speed of Fermentation

Lotm

Hi brewers,

New to brewing. Brewing Coopers Mexican Cerveza for my wife (no really it's for her). Using BE2, OG 1041. It has been 4 days and there is very little krausen. Day 4 SG 1012. Smells okay, tastes okay. It this thing fermenting quickly or is this normal? [biggrin]

What temp you brewing at, that may make things speed up if its on the warm side. Mine was left in the FV for 2 weeks and been in the bottle about 5 weeks and suprisingly, it still tastes like, piss. True quality Cerveza as it's supposed to be. SWMBO loves it so that's what counts.

Hey Scott

The Cooper's kit yeast is a really efficient workhorse. I put down a Cervesa in August. I pitched the yeast at 16'C and let the temp drop to 14'C for fermentation. After 4 days the SG had dropped from 1.039 to 1.016. Two days later it was at 1.011 and finished up at 1.004 when bottled on day 17.

I didn't use a BE and I added some hops to see if I could impart some citrus tones.

Fruity Cervesa

Coopers Mexican Cervesa

500g Light Dry Malt

500g Dextrose

25g Cascade 7 minutes

25g Amarillo 5 minutes

Even though I am becoming a beer snob I figured the Cervesa couldn\u2019t be as bad as the other beer snobs say. Hopefully SWMBO likes it, she took a liking to my English Bitter and now that keg is blown. Worst case I'll end up with something I can drink from a stubbie, possibly with a slice of lemon.

Continuing with the theme of challenging beer snobbery I am currently brewing an Amber Ale using the OS Lager as a base [pinched].

Thanks guys. I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I still have the OS lager kit I got with the FV. Thinking about hopping it up. Suggestions? Remember now' date=' I'm new to this. [roll']

take one carefully measured half a handful of hops of your choice (are you going to ferment as a lager or an Ale?) and hurl them in when the krausen drops back.

Personally Id ferment it as an ale and whack several loads in from 1020 down, every 2 days hop the shite out of it.. The Lager can by itself is fairly ordinary.

Yob

Hey Scott, I just had a look at my brew notes for a couple of my brews with the standard Coopers Cerveza recipe, both dropped around 25 points within 4 days, one brew hovering at around 21 degrees, the other a little warmer at 23 degrees. I didn't note what krausen they had but from memory it wasn't much. It seems to be in line with your brew and what the others are saying.

Thanks guys. I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I still have the OS lager kit I got with the FV. Thinking about hopping it up. Suggestions? Remember now' date=' I'm new to this. [roll']

Scott

You could go with Yob's suggestion or you could do a small hop boil. My first hop boil was in plain water, I boiled 25 g of Cascade for 15 minutes and then dry hopped with 25g of Nelson Sauvin on day 5. If you don't want to dry hop throw the Nelson into the boil for the last 3 minutes. The other important thing would be to use all malt or combine malt and dextrose giving the BE a miss, I used 1.5kg Light Malt Extract and 200g of Dextrose. It was a very nice Brew which didn't last long.

Archived