Coopers Community

Coopers Wheat Beer Fermentation?

Narfin

Hi guys - I have just put down a batch of my first batch Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer.

I didn't follow the suggested recipe - I used 600grams Dextrose and 400grams Maltodextrin as my sugars (a body booster kit recommended by my local brew shop). OG was 1.036.

I pitched the kit yeast at 22\xb0C and gave it a gentle stir to kick it off.

Well after 24 hours there was little air lock activity and the specific gravity had not changed. It appears that everything may have fell to the bottom of my fermenter.

Is this normal for the Wheat kit?

Cheers

Nathan

I don't think it will turn out great with all that dextrose and maltodextrin...it really would have benefited from some malt...but that isn't what you asked.

As for fermentation, it is too early to worry. First up, ignore the airlock (or even better toss it out the nearest open window). Look for signs other signs of fermentation such as condensation on the lid and krausen - but don't be alarmed if there is little or no krausen as you may have some but not all indications of fermentation. Then give it a couple of days and take another hydrometer reading. If nothing is happening by then it may be time to look for solutions.

Wow! It must be real Hot over there, down under to kill the yeast on the drive home fron the LHBS![w00t] [unsure]

It was just sitting upright in the sun on the passenger seat and the lid was pretty hot when I got out of the car. I put the yeast in fridge when I got home..

Anyway - I might just be looking for a solution to a problem that hasn't happened yet. I just have never had a brew that wasn't bubbling away after a day in the fermenter....

Anyway - I might just be looking for a solution to a problem that hasn't happened yet. I just have never had a brew that wasn't bubbling away after a day in the fermenter....

As Muddy said, Ignore the Airlock [rightful]

I used an airlock for my first few brews and it never bubbled once. The airlock and grommet didn't form a tight enough seal so the CO2 found a different escape route.

Look for the signs mentioned by Muddy. Actually just follow his whole post [biggrin]

Archived