Coopers Community

Hefeweizen recipe with Wyeast 3068

MarkA18

Hi all, for my upcoming Coopers based recipe, I want to make the Hefeweizen, and have bought the ingredients, but mistakenly got Wyeast 3068 which I have read gives lots of banana esters, mmmm!

My concern is that the recipe is designed to make 23L, but I have read that this yeast needs lots of headspace (33%) because it's so vigorous. I'm hoping to get some advice on what to do. I guess I could use 2/3 of the ingredients and make a 15L wort, but that seems a bit wasteful. Our carboy is 23L.

Thank you!

Mark

Hey I didn't think to do that - make it in a more concentrated form (15L) and then add 8L of water later. Are there any negatives of doing this?

Thanks a lot - I am really keen to make this, and was worried I might not be able to.

If you were doing a full boil, the negative would be a lower utilsation of hops due to the higher gravity ie. need to use more hops.

But you aren't doing that and it is easily overcome in extract brewing by doing partial boils in a gravity around 1030-1040.

Below is a link to an article in BYO magazine about High Gravity Brewing (or blending) that you may find useful.

BYO - Blending for Volume: Techniques

It will give you tips on how to treat the water etc (eg. boiling the water to remove oxygen).

Guten Abend mein herr.

I made the hefe using that yeast and it's deeeelicious. [love] I even got approval from a real live Bavarian - in Bavaria. I smuggled them in my suitcase. Here is the thread where my recipe is.

I recommend not using as much additional wheat malt though, as it's quite alcomoholic - weizenbock is more like it.

The krausen was massive. And really really really goopy. I could've made bread with the residue on the krausen collar (I have the DIY FV). But that perhaps was from the additional malt.

Hope that helps

Archived