Coopers Community

First Partial Mash/Kit Brew Sediment 3Litre Mark

Hello all just pitched the yeast on my first partial mash brew think thats what its called. Until now id only been steeping small amounts of crystal grain before adding a can of hopped goop and light malt extract. This time thought id step it up and use almost all grain for my flavour and alcohol.

Coopers Australian Pale Ale can

1.5kg Joe White Ale malt

1.0 kg Joe White Wheat malt

250 Grams LME (Dry)

15 grams Centennial 30 min boil

15 grams Amarillo 30 min boil

20 grams Amarillo 10 min boil

Safale US-05 yeast 11.5 grams

I used brew in bag method in 16 litre pot used 9 litres in initial mash with the 2.5 kg of grain for 60 mins at 66 degrees celcius was stable whole time with short bursts of heat.

I read after grain removed boil wort alone 30 mins before adding hops i only done it for 15 minutes i chose not to sparge as the alcohol content not really important flavour mainly im after.

When i got to stage of cooling after hop boil and irish moss added i used a ice bath and bought the wort down to 30 degrees i figured would be enough considering the cold tap water used to top up fv. I was right topped to 23 litres temp was 22 perfect to pitch yeast.

Sorry if hard to follow im crap at explaining things but does maby the fact that my sediment is at 3 litre mark level with top of tap have something to do with not boiling wort alone for whole 30 mins and not cooling wort enough have caused this?

Biggest question i suppose will the sediment dissapeer as beer ferments or is that protein from grain that will stay put? Any advise be helpful thanks.

Hi Jim.

I started mash brewing a few months ago and have had this happen twice. Both times I put it down to me being too greedy with the wort and not wanting to leave anything behind in the kettle. Now I just have to suck it up and leave a few litres behind in order to get nice clear wort into the cube/FV. Nice compact seddy every time.

AFAIK, the length of the boil is to remove certain things which taste/smell bad in the beer and shouldn't affect the amount of trub.

I've been wrong before though [lol]

Welcome to the funner side!

Thanks phil at this stage i only have one fv so i pretty much bottle 5 days after fg is reached. so anotherwords it will stay there? can only hope it compacts a bit more but thanks for advice guess i better look into it a bit more before next batch cheers mate

I get it too. Heaps of sediment in my partials due to some of the grain dusty stuff getting through the bag and some hop trub that gets through the strainer.

It freaked me out at first but 1-2 days later it was compacted on the bottom of the FV well below the tap.

What I did to get it off the trub was to rack it into a different FV with 100g dex so it created a bit of CO2.

Had you already added yeast? Confused about where the CO2 is coming from and why that would help remove trub. Can see why racking through an intermediate vessel may help though, as long as you let it settle again (although increased risk of infection).

Mark, by the time I'd decided to rack primary was pretty much finished. I was worried about chucking it into another FV knowing it would have no blanket of CO2 to protect it, so I figured I'd give it a chance to create its own. Hopefully decreased the risk of infection while it sat in there for another week.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated.

Hairy i actually tossed my grain bag afterwards as i think i sqeezed too hard which caused small holes where small amounts of grain got out. I used a sanitised strainer to dig out before boiling but i think some nastie flavours may have got in from squeezing too hard.

Catch 22 didnt want loose to much wort as phil said i may have to sacrafice a bit to stop this. Im driving to wangaratta tomorrow for the dentist i may just use the money i put aside for a radiator to buy the new DIY vessel and rack to that for a week afte FG reached. I beleive the taps are lower on the old style ones like im using now so im asuming if i get a new one which i asume your all using this will be even better in the future.

Thanks all ill keep posted if anything changes or not [crying]

Mark' date=' by the time I'd decided to rack primary was pretty much finished. I was worried about chucking it into another FV knowing it would have no blanket of CO2 to protect it, so I figured I'd give it a chance to create its own. Hopefully decreased the risk of infection while it sat in there for another week.[/quote']

My bad, for some reason I read it that you were racking through two FV's before pitching, which just sounded silly.

Racking into a secondary makes more sense (although for an ale probably not that much of an advantage to just racking into a bottling bucket a bottling time).

Use whirlfloc (or similar) this will settle most of the crap from your boil. It won't hurt if some still gets in though. Then ferment as you would usually and if you are worried then you can rack to secondary and gelatine it then CC if you have the capability to do so... bottle/keg and it is clear as a whistle [whistling

I forgot to say that i chucked in half of tablet of Irish moss disolved in 1/2 cup water and added at 5 mins is what your talking about different bill? Thanks for all the replies anyway the sediment is back down just under tap now its fermenting nicely on 20 i think this will be all ill do for a while until can afford a 40 litre urn for BIAB having not tasted it yet but im sure it will be better hence why its the next step up.

I'll be using a muslin grain sack for my partial mash ale. But I always sparge grains so I don't have to squeeze it. Don't want the powdery stuff getting squeezed out.

And I always pour chilled wort & top off through a large fine mesh strainer into the FV. It not only helps clean the wort,but aerate it as well. I usually get only about 3/8 inch of trub when it's time to rack to the bottling bucket.

• 1 month later...

[love] Just having first pint of my first ever partial mash absolutely beautiful. Going down very smooth thought i might have made it too bitter to begin with but after half pint so far think its perfect. The late addition of Amarillo maby could have been a bit more but definatly noticable and adding to it.

Also just read another thread from tonight about the taste difference from finnings. Is my beer tasting better also because the crap dropped out of suspension? I was thinking thats why so smooth and then read another post made me think same. I suppose ill find out when i sample my Dead Mouse Pale Ale in a few weeks that was a can and Extract brew and my second use of irish moss.

Billk your the expert brewer around these parts is Irish moss as suitable as whirlflock i think you said to use is it all the same? I certainly like the results so far maby combination of everything i have done. Thanks all cheers

lol I'm far from being the expert brewer around here. Nevertheless, they are both kettle finings and will do the same job. However, even though I have never used Irish Moss, I am pretty sure the consensus is that Whirlfloc does a better job. [unsure]

Archived