Coopers Community

Lager HELP

BrewingBenny

I have had my lager in the FV for 2 weeks at between 10-12 degrees. Today was warm and it has reached 20. Not to worried Diacetyl Rest taken care of. Going to bottle. QUESTION: Can I bottle them and put them in a fridge to Lager?? I'm assuming they will carbonate during that process is that right OR do they need to be fridged then pulled out after a while and carbonated at normal temps down the track, PLEASANTLY CONFUSED with that step. [innocent]

G'day Benny,

I have got 2 lagers on the go at the moment and going on advice I have gained I am going by this plan. 9 days at 10 degrees - done. Raise temp to 20 degrees - done. Leave in FV until a total of 3 weeks (this is partly due to timing it with weekends), then bottle them. Allow to carbonate for maybe 3 weeks. Then, lager at low temp for as long as I can bear it... [innocent] , not sure how long that last step will last just yet!!! [bandit]

Not sure if this helps you or not, I'm a bit in unknown territory myself but I have a fair bit of confidence in my source of advice given the quality of his brews.

I am happy to hear other opinions as well.

Good luck.

Hey guys

The point of lagering is to clear it up - and minimise the amount of extra stuff that goes into the bottle.

If you lager in the bottle, all the gunk is still in the bottle - so if you move them you can stir all the gunk back in, rendering your lagering process as invalid.

At least that's my understanding of it - and what I'm doing at the moment. I'm lagering in a second FV after four weeks in the primary fermenter.

Lagering is more than clarification and you can lager in the bottle. Generally it is done before bottling, and it may be more efficient due to the larger volume, but it can be done in the bottle.

Below is a link to an article in BYO about lagering in the bottle:

BYO - Lagering

Just do whatever works for you and suits the equipment that you have.

Archived