Coopers Community

Lagering and carbonation

GrahamB8

I have a beer thats in secondary lagering at 1\xb0c for a few weeks now and its ready for the bottle/keg. Im only bottling 1 litre so will use drops but Im concerned that there wont be enough yeast for carbonation.

Whats your thoughts?

obviously they still need to be stored somewhere a bit warmer to carbonate.

cough... or a bit more patience.. cough..

you imply that most will be kegged so I say prime to appropriate volumes, put it somewhere cool and forget about it for 4 months.. It'll carb.

[rightful]

I have just put my lager down into the primary, after a couple of weeks I plan on bottling, can I "lager them" in the bottle in a temp controlled freezer in the bottle. Once if that's o.k, do you bring them back up to a warmer temp to carbonate, I have read a heap of literature that suggests lagering in a carboy which I dont have.

I have just put my lager down into the primary, after a couple of weeks I plan on bottling, can I "lager them" in the bottle in a temp controlled freezer in the bottle. Once if that's o.k, do you bring them back up to a warmer temp to carbonate, I have read a heap of literature that suggests lagering in a carboy which I dont have.

The idea behind lagering is to drop almost everything out of suspension to get a crystal clear beer. The longer it's lagered, the more stuff (yeast mainly??) drops out.

If you lager in the bottle any movement of the bottle will cause everything to come back into suspension.

Archived