Coopers Community

Coopers Celebration Ale question

Rob (Guinness Man)

Hey all.

I've recently been doing a lot of all-grain brewing but from time to time I do a Coopers Can brew when I don't have time for an all-grain.

I've just seen the Coopers Celebration ale recipe and want to try it. I notice it has hops. I did not think hops could be used with the Coopers can kits?

What would be the process to brew with Coopers cans and hops? I always though you need to boil them like in the all grain process?

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the replies. The recipe is clear but the part which is not clear is the listing of the hops as ingredients:

Ingredients

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt

500g Dextrose

25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets

25g Centennial Hop Pellets

1 sachet of American Ale yeast or Coopers Commercial Ale yeast culture

Nowhere does it state the process to use these listed hops??? Or am I blind?

Thanks,

Rob

STEP 2: Brew

Try to ferment the brew at 18\xb0C-21\xb0C, if possible.

After a few days of fermentation, add the 2 varieties of hop pellets either directly to the brew or in a sanitised cloth mesh bag (we recommend wrapping them in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper).

Fermentation has finished once the specific gravity is stable over 2 days.

As per the recipe instructions from coopers.com.au .....

A hop tea isn't really where you add hops to boiling water. It is where you add hops to hot water and steep it for a while, just like making tea. It is the same as a flame out addition.

Boiling hops (usually in wort rather than water) is a way to extract more bitterness and flavour. The longer the boil, the more bitterness you will extract.

Boiling for 8 minutes will mainly provide aroma and a little flavour.

For this recipe, and for ease, I would just dry hop in the FV.

Actually, I would buy more hops and boil some too but if you are following the recipe then just dry hop it.

Archived