Coopers Community

Growing Hops

ash

well drained soil, poo, lots of space between varietys.. 2 meters min. lots of space to grow vertical.. trellis's are a good idea but many other ways are possible.. there is a bloke on AHB in Canada of all bloody places, uses his house and grows them up to the gutters.

Yob

Linky

you will need an account to view the pictures

I live in Tasmania and have a Cascade Hop Rhizome ready to plant, but not sure when I should do it. Most say in Spring when the threat of frost is gone.

We haven't had a frost in a while actually but anything can happen with Tassie weather, when do you guys think I should plant it??

Cheers

If its any help I planted out a cascade and 2 Victory today so I say go for it, justr make sure to lightly mulch over, the new shoots will come through when they are ready.

cascadeg.jpg

Cascade I planted today.

hopyard.jpg

My Trellis Stsyem

[love]

YOB,Found a guy on Ebay,can i grow hops horizontaly instead of verticaly if they have plenty of sunlight + can they be grown with other plantes in a vegie garden,do need a companion plant to keep them happy,do they need to be seperate from some plants.

Looking to learn more.

[innocent]

dave

You can but they will take over your garden bed.. They prefer to grow vertical but can be encouraged to groz horizontal, though this is far more work. It doesnt take much to rig up a pole and some lines.. for inspiration have a look at THIS THREAD.. you will need to be a member to view photo's

Yob

Don Osborne has a cool trellis with a hammock under it, hes got the odd youtube vid about it on his site

Don Osbornes hop trellis

Link to his web page on it

Thanks for the links Graham,now lets see what happens,potted the little bugger tonight + gave him a good drink with worm wee.[happy] [happy] [happy] 100 mtrs from the Pacific Ocean living in Qld.How happy can a hop plant be,[lol] [lol] [lol] So far away from their cool comfort zone.

Archived