Coopers Community

Coriander

LordEoin

after a few weeks sampling Texan brews, I noticed that all of my favorites had Coriander as an ingredient.

Has anyone tried this?

As far as I know from cooking, coriander has 3 useful parts:

1 - the leaves

2 - the flower

3 - the seeds

What part is used in brewing and how do you use it?

I don't know about the flowers, but the roots are also used (for curry pastes I think).

I'm pretty sure it's the seeds that are used in beers. I imagine it's just like cooking. Give em a bit of a toast in the frypan to get everything going then grind it in a mortar and pestle.

Check out the Julebryg recipe for an example.

Check out the Julebryg recipe for an example.

Thanks Adam.Like the idea of Juleberyg recipe , my household is big on coriander we use every part of the plant in our cooking weekly,roots & seeds for curry paste,leaves for garnish.[good for all that ales you].So i will try Juleberyg recipe.Just don't know what Coops beer kit to use ,PB2 might enlighten us that one.On the method section of recipe i will dry simmer the spices instead of in 2 litres of water

• 2 weeks later...

I did a wheat beer with Coriander seeds and orange zest and it is a ripper of a brew. Really enjoying it!!! Using coriander seeds is dead simple, just give them a crush in a mortar and pestle and add them to your boiling brew mix. Then put it through and sieve into your fermenter and enjoy the taste [biggrin]

You read my mind, that's exactly what I was going to do.

Something similar to Blue Moon or Shocktop.

Have the wheatbeer kit and yeast all ready to go.

kit+1kg dry wheat malt+wb06 (no dextrose, although i might cave on that)

How much coriander did you use?

And how did you add the orange?

And how much of what part ? zest?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I was actually going to make/find a seperate thread for the orange, but seeing as you've already done exactly what I'm planning I may aswell ask here. [happy]

• 3 weeks later...

bottled this today

couldnt get coriander seeds, so I used ground coriander.

Found on a different site that 1oz coriander seed can be replaced with a quarter teaspoon of ground coriander.

Seemed a bit little so i added a bit extra.

wheet beer kit

1kg dry wheat malt

300g dex (i caved)

grated rinds of 2 oranges + 1/2 tsp ground coriander (boiled for 10 minutes and put through a coffee plunger)

wb06 pitched at about 24C

fermented warm at 22C for about 2 weeks.

It smells amazing, tastes just like 'shock top' (so far).

Even the trub smells good, like cloves.

I'm looking forward to this one [biggrin]

Archived