Coopers Community

Australian Bitter fermenting fast

GlenH11

Last week I brewed an Australian Bitter with 1.5kg Light Malt Extract with kit yeast. Pitching temperature of 21C and fermenter in 15-13 C range. Original gravity was 1040 current gravity is 1008 so it appears to have finished.

The issue is that it has only been 7 day, do I have a problem? It tastes and smells ok.

I did a Heritage Lager under similar conditions and it took 13 days.

Glen i put the same brew down on Friday.Pitched at 21C & fermenter sitting at 18C. My OG was 1042 so pretty close to yours ,i'll keep you posted.Back to your quest. i think it would be ok ,but i would leave for another few days if it was mine

I also did one about a month or so ago, same recipe just the Aussie Bitter kit + a tin of light LME. My OG was 1042 and FG 1011, fermented around 18-20C it was done in a week too, but I left it in the FV for an extra week before bottling as I do with all my brews.

I think yours will be fine mate.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Most Ales will only take about a week to ferment. However, it is best not to bottle for a few days later to give a chance for the yeast to clean up a little. I leave mine for anything from 10-14 days. Even more sometimes, just depends how lazy I am. [innocent]

This topic has made raised an interesting question. I asked about this another thread, but can't be bothered looking for it.

This thread says the Aussie Bitter comes with the combined Ale and Lager yeast Ac+L

Yet, the recipe page for the True Aussie Bitter says to brew at Lager temps. Actually is says to brew at 20or less then later it says to brew at 13.

I am confused. Is this because the yeast is a combined Ale and Lager yeast that it can be brewed at Lager temps? Wouldn't you need more yeast if you did this to the half being ale yeast?

Yeah Adam i got a little confused {not unusual}when i was looking at the recipie myself but i decided to just give it a go, Paul PB2, should look at some of these recipes because not everyone has reached the stage of a garage full of fridges with ideal temp controls.In a perfect home brewing world we all will have.Congrats byt the way to all members for all the infromation i have gained from this great site.

Most Ales will only take about a week to ferment.

Thanks for the response Bill, but I am a little bit confused, at the 15-13C range shouldn't the lager yeast be doing the work and the ale yeast be in suspension, given that it is a mixed yeast.

I thought that was the point of fermentation at the lower range.

Australian Bitter was my second brew and I was still brewing by the supplied instructions so I brewed it at 24C.

ingredients: kit, kit yeast, 1.5kg malt extract syrup

Also at the time i was still taking daily SG readings, so here you go.

Primary fermentation only lasted 4 days:

OG: 1.042

24 hrs: 1.027

48 hrs: 1.014

72 hrs: 1.013

96 hrs: 1.010

it stayed like that and i bottled it on the 7th day.

it tasted great after about 3 weeks.

Most Ales will only take about a week to ferment.

Thanks for the response Bill, but I am a little bit confused, at the 15-13C range shouldn't the lager yeast be doing the work and the ale yeast be in suspension, given that it is a mixed yeast.

I thought that was the point of fermentation at the lower range.

I believe the Yeast is a "blend" of Ale and Lager yeast, not actually half Ale and Half Lager. I also believe it was developed to react at very low Ale temps, or very high Lager temps. If you take it too low then it will stop fermenting.

Pb2 should be able to correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding.

Archived