Coopers Community

While my grains are steeping...

MattC10

Hi all, it's brew day for me and while I am steeping crystal malt 60L, I thought I'd hop online and thank everyone again for their tips and advice on kicking up my extract kit with grains and hops! I am looking forward to sharing the results with you. Quick question on the topic of yeast: I have several Cooper's yeast packets in my fridge...how long do they keep? Should I discard after six months or a year? Do they last indefinitely?

Thanks

\u2014Matt

They wont last indefinitely and the longer you keep them the less viable they will become. Dry yeast can be kept for some time provided it is in the fridge. If you have any doubts on the viability of your yeast after time then rehydrate it or better still, make a starter.

Matt - You should've titled this thread "While my grain gently steeps". Just saying [biggrin]

Nice one Muddy [biggrin]

I was thinking exactly the same thing and now have that song stuck in my head.

"I don't how they were converted"

Hi all, it's brew day for me and while I am steeping crystal malt 60L, I thought I'd hop online and thank everyone again for their tips and advice on kicking up my extract kit with grains and hops! I am looking forward to sharing the results with you. Quick question on the topic of yeast: I have several Cooper's yeast packets in my fridge...how long do they keep? Should I discard after six months or a year? Do they last indefinitely?

Thanks

\u2014Matt

Matt,

Check out Mr. Malty. It is very handy. Use the dry yeast option and be sure use the date on packet. This will calculate the # of cells needed to do your brew.

Good luck!

Muddy, Hairy,

That' what I was thinking too.[biggrin]

Archived