Coopers Community

Temp control is there a real need

NicholasS4

Just wondering out of curiosity, even though it says on most coopers kits to ferment a beer at a temp they feel is right, my first brew aussie lager fermented at 14 or less and turned out bloody great (shame ive ran out of bottles). From what ive experinced with 3 brews (im new to this) that temp is not that big of a deal, or is it, will i one day make a stuffed batch lol hope not im on a good run.....What do other brewers think of this cause i was goin to buy a heat belt and im like na give it a miss the lager turned out great why waste the money... Im living in Newcastle not far from the beach so at night it drops to like 5 will this affect the beer with inconsistent temps, just curious....

If you aren't too concerned about great tasting beer then temp control is not important.

However if you want to make the best beer you can then it is very important.

It allows you to brew at a temp which gives yeast their optimum conditions. It also allows you to control the esters produced by yeast.

In the end it is about control. You have absolute control over a variable in the brewing process which can greatly affect the flavour of your beer.

There is only 1 answer to this question..

OH MY FKING GOD YES!!!! Getting control over this part of your process is one of the best things you can do for your beer... many other things may be forgiven if Temp control is sorted.

I have 5 working temp control devices.. 3 on fridges and 1 on my HLT and 1 on my HEX..

its all about control baby [lol] [bandit] [ninja]

capture1wr.jpg

capturegba.jpg

I love control [ninja]

There is only 1 answer to this question..

OH MY FKING GOD YES!!!! Getting control over this part of your process is one of the best things you can do for your beer... many other things may be forgiven if Temp control is sorted.

I have 5 working temp control devices.. 3 on fridges and 1 on my HLT and 1 on my HEX..

its all about control baby [lol] [bandit] [ninja]

capture1wr.jpg

capturegba.jpg

I love control [ninja]

Excuse my ignorance Yob but what are HLT & HEX

A HLT is a big kettle, used in all grain brewing where you need a large volume of water at certain temps, a controller lets you get water to a given temp.

HEX is a Heat Exchanger, this is a device for controlling what temperature the grains are held at in a recirculating system.

Essentially, the grains are in an esky (mash tun) with the liquid being recirculated through the HEX device and then back to the grains. It means you can do a range of temperatures easily by changing the input on the control device.

Yob

Temp Control is a must - if you have a spare fridge (or if you can use your beer fridge) use with a temp controller/ Thermostat, you can get these from Ebay, they sell them as a reptile tank thermostat and the range is from -9 to 38 deg C. Then when you brew you can control the temp no worries[happy]

I have done 2 brews - so a noob. But I concur with the forumites responses.

First brew - Lager, large temp variations. Drinkable but also a bit Zazzy. Distinct amateur feel.

2nd brew - although a different recipe, used a heat mat and thermostat (about 75 all up). But its a massive improvement in quality.

Archived