Coopers Community

S.S.T.

ChrisMack

Or Sunday's Stupid Thought

I'm sure we have all had them while brewing...well here was mine as I bottled a brew of "Porter"

It came about as I was dropping the carbonation drops into the bottles in readyness to add the amber liquid....dont even ask why the thought jumped into my head but it just did ok? [pinched]

Sunday's Stupid Thought

Why hasnt someone added HOP oils to carbonation drops to act as a bottle-infused finishing hop?

Could it actually work? or would there be drawbacks as far as it effecting the carbonantion process? Anyway I thought about it further..and one possible issue could be the myriad of HOP options that would need to be catered for, the possible confusion for brewers (after all we are a simple breed [lol] ), and or "Darn I picked up the wrong Carb drops"

So there we go....This has been a Sunday's Stupid Thought brought to you by ChrisMack.

Don't know mate, but one thing I did a few weeks back was to chuck some hops in while I was boiling my priming sugar. Strained it into the secondary, then racked the wort onto it. Haven't tasted any yet, but I'm hoping for great, hoppy... things. [love]

I reckon it would be pretty hard to achieve the product you're describing, but one can always dream....

I would say because it would be too hard to measure what the consumer would want.

How much oils do you put in one drop when people prime at different rates. i.e. 1 drop for something like an ESB or 2 for an Aussie Pale. Then how much hops per drop and of which hop.

Far too complicated if you ask me. Easier to use fresh hops and sugars separately imo.

It's not a completely stupid idea.

What if you made the carb drops with some kebab flavouring?

You could mark those bottles for use on the big nights. It will save you a few bucks and possible food poisoning.

Archived