Coopers Community

To much head

SteveV1

Hi i have been brewing now about 2 years the last six batches i bottled i am getting to much head at least half a glass is all head and the glass is very gassy,I use malt and coopers cans and when i bottle i use coopers drops 2 off in the bottle off .75L.

Can any one tell me what i could be doing wrong Thanks

I posted something similar that happened with 2 brews I did a couple of months ago. Some suggestions were possibly bottles not clean enough causing infection during secondary fermentation. But when I thought back, I realised that these two brews were dry hopped. My second ever brew was also dry hopped and did the same thing. All other brews haven't been dry hopped and haven't had this problem. Whether that's your issue or not I'm not sure, but I don't think I'll bother dry hopping again if it's gonna do that. It could be infection, could be incomplete primary fermentation... they are the main two causes I believe.

Cheers,

Kelsey

I missed this..

incomplete primary ferment is MOST likely... dry hopping will NOT lead to over carbonation.

Dry Hooping is the BOMB and can make a beer really stand out from the crowd..

If following the booklet instructions... dont.. when you think you have achieved Terminal gravity, it's ok, and indeed the beer will benefit from a few extra days to ensure that you have bottomed out and give the yeasties time to clean up fermentation byproducts

[rightful] [ninja] [bandit]

I didn't think dry hopping would cause it either, but it has only been those brews I've done that have had too much head. They were all left in the fermenter for 2 weeks before bottling as well, I do that with all my brews. So I dunno, maybe the hops weren't sterile and caused a minor infection or something. The taste is fine however.

Archived