Coopers Community

Stout - Coopers Extra Stout priming and bottling

NathanW9

Hi all, my first brew is currently underway..woo yeah but got a few questions which im sure all you home brew veterans will be able to answer for me. After SG readings are stable over 2 days - will wait till the 6th day of ferment before i test how long should i leave in the fermenter as a rule of thumb for a stout? Also the best extra stout receipe says to use 2 carb drops per 750ml, from your experience is this to much for this stout and should i half the drops per bottle to 1? Thanks for your replies in advance and can't wait to see how my brew turns out. Think i will need to invest in a cooling collar or such as my brew is sitting at 23 deg which ideally should be around the 20-21 aparently

Hey Nathan welcome aboard....these guys here will well and truely help you with all their knowledge and wit (be sure you can laugh at yourself and these guys as well...somethings they say are just....oh wait and see [lol])

While they do offer up great and helpful advice do take it, but you also need to note that one of the great things about home-brewing is the chance to experiment...So, seeing as this is your first brew you could split the run and add 2 drops to half the run, and 1 drop to the rest....wait drink and see which you prefer for future batches (however I believe traditionally Stouts are less fizzy that other ales etc) It really is down to personal preference though...

Make sure you keep notes of what you did along the way, so if you hit something you really like you can easily replicate it again! I made a Stout a while back with cinnamon added and it's a beaut drop...but I forgot to note how much cinnamon I added to the brew, so will need to guess next time I wish to make the brew...

Enjoy your brewing and experimenting and if there's any Questions just ask these super helpful nutters here...

ChrisMack

Nathan, welcome aboard.

I have only done 2 stout brews. The first one I primed with 2 carb drops per 740ml PET bottle.

The last one I dropped back to 1 carb drop/bottle & it's a much better drink, more in keeping with the stout style (my thoughts only).

I have gone to bulk priming now so the next brew will require a bit of calculating.

Chris had some good advice with the half & half test.

Good luck.

Chris had some good advice with the half & half test.

Yeah, this is good. It all comes down to personal taste.

But I would prefer 1 carb drop per 740 ml for a stout. 2 carb drops would be too carbonated for my tastes.

Archived