Coopers Community

Hops Help

BrewingBenny

Today I brewed up a dry. I added boiled water to the empty can then some amarillo hops in a paint strainer for 10 minutes. Is this likely to have any taste/effect on the brew considering it doesnt seem like a long time or alot of hops. I was recommended to do it this way by my LHBS. [unsure]

1.7kg dry/blonde concentrate

Brewmaster #20

low carb/dry sachet

Danstar Nottingham neutral ale yeast 11g

made up to 22 ltrs

The paint strainer is like a tea bag (kind of) left it in the concentrate tin (with hops in the bag) with boiling water for about 10min then added it to the wort for about 5 and vigorously stirred

Unfortunately 15hrs in and no signs of fermentation. No ring/comdensation, no air lock movement (equal amount of water both sides) sitting at 18-20 degrees.

Thats the full story.. Thanks Mudddy.

Muddy i'm beginning to see your point about the glad wrap. Unfortunately I have a red lid on mt fermenter so it's even harder to see whats happening. I musn't complain as i'm a first time brewer and without the generosity of a mate who gave me his second setup I would never have seen the light LOL. I understand why the post I made about the lid seal being replaced was commented on and advised you not to comment lol [biggrin]. Thanks for helping a Noob much appreciated!

Sorry Muddy the Amarillo hops was a 15g pellet type

Hi Benny. Just an FYI about the dry enzyme sachet. I've never used one before but have heard from mates who have used them that they can extend the fermentation process quite significantly, so you have to be damn sure that it is done before bottling. It may slowly keep converting the unfermentable sugars for up to a week longer than you'd normally expect your beer to take, with very little in the way of visible signs.

Happy for anyone to jump in and tell me I'm wrong, but just thought I'd share. As I said, never used one myself. [innocent]

I agree Philbo. I am brewing my first dry beer and I am up to day 12 of fermentation. measured today at 1.012. this would normally not take that long for the same style of lager for me. My mate let this same batch of beer sit for 21 days in total and it didnt hit fg until day 17 at 1.006. I have read you have to be pretty careful if bottling for explosions.

I agree Philbo. I am brewing my first dry beer and I am up to day 12 of fermentation. measured today at 1.012. this would normally not take that long for the same style of lager for me. My mate let this same batch of beer sit for 21 days in total and it didnt hit fg until day 17 at 1.006. I have read you have to be pretty careful if bottling for explosions.

Lagers take longer to ferment than Ales.

Hops in a beer will not make fermentation longer. Hops are an ingredient that gives beer its bitterness and flavors. Your beer fermentation time relies on a few factors but mainly the temperature, sugar and yeast will determine the length of a fermentation.

Archived