Coxy

Ok, this is a bit odd. Here's the recipe:

Tin TCS Irish Stout

200g choc malt/roasted barley steeped 30mins/boiled 10mins

15g EKG 10min

200g lactose

100g blackstrap molasses

Added water to 23L, temp 22 deg.

SG before I pitched yeast was 1.028!! That seems crazy low. I know I didn't add malt or dextrose, but I would've thought it'd be more than that.

I guess I'm going to end up with a pretty "light" stout...

I followed this recipe, but left out the optional LDM and added extra lactose:

http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/recipes/67-mashing-beer-recipe/367-murphys-irish-stout.html

I just ran those quickly through kit and kilo and it comes out at 1.03 ferment down to 1.009.

3.1% alc in the bottle

2.7% alc in the keg

33.2 IBU

The instructions say 4.5% with the 500g of DME so your numbers look about right mate.

All good. Just didn't want you to think I'm a total noob who can't read a recipe [lol]

I mixed in the LDM (dissolved) this morning. It hasn't started its krausen yet (only 9 hours post pitching) so I figure I got in in time.

It wouldnt have mattered if fermentation had started and corret me if Im wrong but adding it after the yeast has taken hold would have been safer, though we do worry too much about these things sometimes [cool]

Meh. If it fails I'll chalk it up to a (rather expensive) learning experience! LOL

I did use boiled water for the LDM and sterilised the container and spoon I used to mix it in, so hopefully that's ok.

TBH I reckon it'd be fine what you have done.

My view is that it should in fact be added prior to Krausening and not after. Why I say this is because during the lag phase the yeast is busy multiplying to achieve enough numbers to ferment the sugars. If it is added afterward then there would be a higher possibility of your brew stalling or even getting some unwanted flavors.

Cool, well, it's full steam ahead now. Nice krausen developing now.

Must say, even before adding the malt it smelt divine! The molasses smell is a little strong, but I'm anticipating that will become more subtle with conditioning. And my intent is to have some of this brew around next winter (assuming it'll last OK 12 months in the PET bottles).

I think I have read somewhere on here that 12 months is the very outside limit for storing beer in PET bottles. If you have access to glass it would be better.

I haven't been able to test the 12 month theory yet...none of my brews have made it that far. [cool]

My stouts do the best getting to about 9 months.

The Coopers DIY Beer Kit contains thirty 740ml PET bottles. These bottles are also widely available as a separate item (in boxes of fifteen).

PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, which is the same plastic used to make soft drink (soda pop) bottles.

Since 2000, Coopers has included PET bottles with the starter kits (initially the Micro-Brew Kit and now the DIY Beer Kit) rather than the traditional crown seals and capper because it was becoming increasingly difficult for new brewers to obtain sturdy crown seal bottles. Today, most commercial beer is packaged in single use glass bottles, which are too thin to stand up to the rigours of continual washing and capping. These bottles carry the words "no refill" embossed on the glass.

The majority of PET bottles are subtly porous and a beverage held in PET will eventually go flat. However, Coopers PET bottles have a nylon barrier, reducing the the rate of ingress of oxygen and the loss of CO2 for up to 18 months. The re-usable caps have a tamper evident collar that breaks off after the first use. This does not affect the airtight seal. When the caps eventually wear out, replacement caps can be purchased separately.

Note: PET is temperature-sensitive and should not be cleaned using hot water.

A beer, such as an Imperial Stout, intended to be aged for 2 years or more, should be bottled into sturdy glass designed for re-use. With this in mind, Coopers also produce Original Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale and Best Extra Stout beverages in sturdy 750ml glass bottles. These bottles have a lip designed for a prise-off crown seal and weigh a formidable 560g empty! They are an excellent option for brewers and sauce makers, alike.

If you were planning on keeping them for much more than 12 months then I would go for glass bottles.

But you are brewing a mid-strength stout; my bet is that you have drank them all by the end of this winter [biggrin]

Just a note; generally beers that a darker, very bitter and/or higher in alcohol will last longer or age better than a lighter, lower alcohol style.

I think I have read somewhere on here that 12 months is the very outside limit for storing beer in PET bottles. If you have access to glass it would be better.

I haven't been able to test the 12 month theory yet...none of my brews have made it that far. [cool]

My stouts do the best getting to about 9 months.

I did a Tooheys and didn't like it at all. Tasted like crap!!.. anyhow it was only about 3 weeks ago I found 2 bottles that had been stashed away for 14 months. They were in the Coopers PETS. I had no trouble with carbonation at all. I was really hoping the contents had improved but nope.... down the drain they went! Nevertheless, my point is that the carbonation was fine after 14 months. not saying this is the case always but were so with the 2 bottles I had.

Archived