Coopers Community

Coopers pale ale yeast count

Chiro

I've been reactivating the yeast out of coopers pale ale for a lot of my brewing with good results. Having just read the yeast book I'd like to try get an optimal pitching rate. Usually I just make a starter with 3 tallies of pale ale. Just guessing the amount.

So, does anyone here know what the approximate yeast cell count would be in a coopers pale ale stubby or longneck?

Ta

Kind of hard to guess, The only real way would be to send the sample to a lab. It all depends on how old the bottle is, the conditions the bottle has gone through.

It could either be very low or fairly high.

to be honest.. Its a great way to learn the skills of yeast harvesting, which is great to know and adds more confidence/satisfaction to your brew, but I'm not sure why you want to go to the trouble of harvesting the Coopers bottle yeast?

hmmm but answering your main question.... the bottle count would be very hard to tell' date=' but even more important is what is in your starter because that could vary immensely, and would be near on impossible to tell at home. [/quote']

bollox.. I can point you to a number of resources to let you determine the cell count.

Bills link is one of them that can get you into the ballpark.

Go back to your beer school and get a frikkin refund

Yob

So, does anyone here know what the approximate yeast cell count would be in a coopers pale ale stubby or longneck?

Best practice is a starter and then letting it settle to count the ml of compact yeast slurry.

LINKY TO TOPIC

The above link was from a few days ago when someone was sking about repitching, so while not exactly what you are after, the info is relevant

Yob

Kind of hard to guess, The only real way would be to send the sample to a lab. It all depends on how old the bottle is, the conditions the bottle has gone through.

It could either be very low or fairly high.

THIS IS THE ANSWER ^^^^^

FFS.. it doesnt really matter.. what matters is the making a starter to build up a new population with adequate carbohydrate reserves.. you arent pitching the yeast in the bottle you are making a starter to get new vibrant cells.

It doesnt matter.

in particular these are the building blocks Yeast need in order to be healthy

Glycogen

Trehalose

and what will be lacking in the parent harvest

see my answer above..

IT DOESNT MATTER

what I will concede is that you dont want to use a bottle thats been left outside all summer.. If its a wellish cared for bottle you can make the starter and then you will have your viable yeast.

Yob

I wanna know why you would culture a Coopers bottle yeast?? It isn't like its special or rare??? I understand the fun and excitement but... Can someone let me know if there is something I'm missing??? There wasn't a term at beer school on Coopers Yeast [joyful]

like all yeast it's because you want to use that strain to capture the flavour they produce..

and it saves money..

Why on earth would a beer school teach you about culturing yeast [whistling

as I said.. go back and get a damn refund.. you sir are not playing with a full deck

Yob

Wake up to yourself Yob, and cut the personal insults.

We learnt everything there is to know about yeast, as I said we didn't concentrate on Coopers.

I've said it before .. 10-15 years ago, maybe longer, we use to culture Coopers yeast, and after a couple of years it came out that Coopers 'seeded' the stubbies with a different yeast, like a lot of breweries did, to what they ferment with. So it became a waste of time!

You should maybe learn something and you wouldn't have to stoop to insults.

Gash

We learnt everything there is to know about yeast' date=' as I said we didn't concentrate on Coopers.[/quote']

Im sure you did mate, then if this is the case why not share some of this info with the people who need it? Some helpful accurate advice would be refreshing.

Yawn..

Anyway Yob we should be watching the greatest game of all, Australias game, the NRL Rugby League State of Origin! I've missed 20 mins talking about Coopers yeast, actually I have a fridge full of satchels, emergency back up and for making breast milk inducing cookies for the wife, I don't use it for beer. Give me Saf,wyeast anyday [pinched]

I tried, yeast count is at best an educated guess, so many contributing factors. I honestly dont give much credit to calculators etc. We disagree on that , so be it.

and I think I've made it pretty clear that re-culturing from bottles is a waste of time, unless it's something really special, or just for a learning experience. I admit I nearly did it to make some Sierra Nevada clones but with a little research found they used US.05 , and its a lot safer to buy it for a more viable yeast, then I wash it and use it several times.

different strokes for different folks!.. I'm just trying the Celebration Ale for the second time (well first time was a slab, only a six pack this time [crying] ) but the only thing that I find lets it down is the strong yeasty taste it has, it nearly covers the hops and malt! I understand its sort of a Coopers trade mark but....

I concur. Reculturing Coopers Yeast from bottles has several advantages:

1/ posibility to achieve as close as possible to the flavor Coopers have.

2/ it is a beast. Even though I am guessing now but most yeast have an attenuation result around 75% and some of course a little higher or lower. Coopers yeast can consistantly achieve up to 85% (I believe)

3/ a great excuse for SWMBO to get me some more beer

4/ a great excuse to drink more beer

5/ a cheap way to obtain 3 core attributes for beer and packaging. a/ drink the beer b/ reuse the bottles c/ reuse the yeast. This makes the overall price for the commercial product far cheaper.

Also I agree that calculators will not give the exact yeast cell count, the Mr Malty one will give you a ball park figure which is all the average home brewer will ever need. Just the same as any other online home brewing calculater which is mainly because of so many varying factors that come to play.

I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet but yes with all the coopers commercial beers they have a yeasty note to them

Ditto

1st choice told me they haven't been able to get any. Murphy's only!

Archived