Coopers Community

Bottles sanitised - how long before I can use them?

King Ruddager

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have also read the star san bottle... scary stuff

so you will know it's an acid anionic and completely safe at the correct dosage of 1ml per litre. You can in fact drink it at these concentrations.

You still havnt answered my question about safe levels for sodium met. The only answers provided were by me.

Do your research first, then sprout off.

Yob

The 'beer school' I attended even washed their filter in it and didn't rinse it before we filled kegs!

I was told by my keg supplier that in the long term it corrodes st.steel kegs and shouldnt be used to sanitise them.

Im a little supprised that your 'beer school' would show you using it in this way mate.

Happy tonight arent you??

drain/dr\u0101n/

Verb:\t

Cause the water or other liquid in (something) to run out, leaving it empty, dry, or drier.

The acceptable daily intake is up to 0.7 mg per kg of body weight.[7] Sodium metabisulfite has no side effects; it is oxidised in the liver to harmless sulfate and excreted in urine.

Totally depends on the type of stainless your keg is made of, but saying that if only used to briefly sanitise there is no problem.

The main reason shops stopped pushing it was because of the oxygen taking effect it has if you sniff it! but thats exactly what you want with beer, it takes gets rid of the oxygen!

Storage Requirements......\u2026\u2026...\u2026.. Store in corrosion-proof area away from incompatible substances. Store

in tightly closed container, preferably the supplier container. Store in a

cool, well ventilated location away from heat, sparks and flames. Storage

tanks should be constructed from polyethylene, polypropylen , fiberglass

reinforced plastic (FRP), cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE), or 316

stainless steel to avoid corrosion problems.

I'm not sure how long you guys have been brewing but it was the be all end all for decades, that and bleach, I still use both. One of the best is a bleach and vinegar mix. I've never had a bad batch of beer, but maybe I'm just a senile old bastard. [lol]

this just keeps getting better..

bleach and vinegar..

potentially lethal, mustard gas can be produced if you get it wrong..

not great advice.

FFS

if you are going to give advice/comments like this at least provide the safety tips as well.

PH factors and volumes please

that and bleach

Same here for years without issue.

I just find Starsan to be easier, cheaper and is %100 safe to use on my kegs. I also currently use Cellarman for my cleaning agent which seems to be a decent product though not the cheapest unfortunately.

potentially lethal' date=' mustard gas can be produced if you get it wrong..[/quote'] Yikes ... [sick]

One of the best is a bleach and vinegar mix. I've never had a bad batch of beer' date=' but maybe I'm just a senile old bastard.[/quote']

READ THIS

My advice is to not listen to the above advice [roll]

Gav, none of these posts have been personal attacks, I just dont think that giving potentially deadly advice without ALL the information is a good idea for new(ish) brewers. Your processes may well be fine, but, PLEASE give all the CORRECT and VALID information, if someone was to DIE from your info... well Im sure you get my point.

Yob

I think you will find you did.

I can find numerous pages on the toxins in everything from the chlorine in the water we drink to the deadly effects of fluoride. And I bet you spend hours in traffic breathing in more deadly substances then you could imagine. Vinegar/bleach is one of the best sanitisers you can get. Its raved about in one of my brew books somewhere. I didn't tell anyone to drink it. I thought this was an adult site??

Alcohol is poisonous and will KILL you too if you drink it in the wrong concentrations.

Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid MSDS

Potential Acute Health Effects:

Extremely hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant). Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of ingestion, of

inhalation (lung irritant). Hazardous in case of skin contact (permeator), . Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive).

Liquid or spray mist may produce tissue damage particularly on mucous membranes of eyes, mouth and respiratory tract. Skin

contact may produce burns. Inhalation of the spray mist may produce severe irritation of respiratory tract, characterized by

coughing, choking, or shortness of breath. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin

inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally, blistering.

Vinegar/Bleach is dangerous, but so is bleach by itself and so is metabisulphate , and so is Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. I stated that I use Bleach and metabisulphate. I said that bleach and Vinegar is one of the best sanitisers, fact is its true. Also after working in the cleaning industry for 6 years I know the importance if working in a well ventilated area with chemicals such as these. And so should you all with any of the sanitising/cleaning products. I remember the first time I took a big whiff of Sodium Metabisulphate nearly killed me, there was no warning at all in the old days, well not on the packet I got with my first brewing kit 1980sumthing.

http://www.wikihow.com/Brew-Your-Own-Beer

Rinse off bleach before using items using very clean potable or distilled water. Do not assume tap water is sanitized for rinsing brewing equipment. If you're using bleach to sanitize, add one ounce of bleach to five gallons of cold water, followed by one ounce of white vinegar. Do not mix the bleach and vinegar together before adding to the water! The vinegar will make the water more acidic, which helps the bleach sanitize. Do not rinse iodine solutions, let equipment drip dry instead.

Note that bleach can cause unwanted flavours in your beer, and requires rinsing, which can introduce microorganisms to your sterilized equipment. If you want to sterilize your equipment properly, use either a food-grade cleanser/sanitizer such or 1step food cleanser, which requires no rinsing, or an iodine solution such as BTF Iodophor. Remember, in beer brewing, you can do just about anything you want, and add anything you want, to make whatever kind of beer you want -- but proper sanitizing is the MOST important thing you can do. Take the time and the energy to do it right.

Mine all get rinsed with boiled water. But I'd do that with the no rinse cleaners anyway.

And see even that site is wrong, no rinse sanitisers do not STERILISE.!! lmao

Another thing I find amusing is how no one wants to rinse with tap water but then moments later they are filling their fermenters with cold tap water. It was I different story when I was brewing my 60L AG batches, I'd take a little more care. but kit and kilo, if your going to add tap water to your fermenter then just rinse it with tap water just before you fill it. I don't like the thought of any 'stuff' being left in my beer , even if it is so called 'No Rinse'

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53640

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59437

Quote "The orginal idea of using it as a no-rinse sanitiser came from an podcast interview with the founder of 5star chemicals who manufacture Starsan.

His actual figure was 1.7ml of bleach, 1.7ml vinegar in 1 litre of water to make a no rinse sanitiser."

and the fact reamins you advocated the use of a substance that can kill you without providing the extra information.

Fairly important to include this information.

Hence my posts.

Yob

Yeah well as I said Bleach can kill you too, so can crossing the road.. When I say I use Bleach, I don't say I use bleach and water mixture, and when people say they use star san they don't say I use a heavily watered down Star San, they just say Star San.. I don't see any warnings on the dangers of star san if not mixed correctly every time someone mentions it. If people don't know how to use/mix chemicals they shouldn't be touching them at all!!! I like cheap alternatives. Even if had of put a mixture ratio, it probably would of been wrong, unless I'd put a link to someone elses opinion, who very well could be wrong too [lol]

I'm just an idiot that went to a crap beer school and is managing still to remember to breathe even though I'm playing a few cards short of deck, what would I know. [lol]

I'm just an idiot that went to a crap beer school and is managing still to remember to breathe even though I'm playing a few cards short of deck

Agreed.

and BTW we have often quoted the mixture ratios when talking about Starsan [innocent] If I could be assed I'd go look for the posts.. AND it's clearly labelled on the containers.

A home made solution need Volumes and the correct information given.

and the mixture ratios of bleach vinegar are all over the net in all the brewing forums. Instead of causing mass hysteria [lol] maybe you could of posted the mixture ratio ??? Straight up, no links, couple of words was all it would of taken.

Yep, I could have done [bandit]

wasnt me who suggested it as a sanitiser without the safety info though.

as a matter of fact I listened to the Starsan podcast again yesterday and it was fresh in my mind..

oh well we got there in the end [lol]

all is forgiven [love]

Archived