Coopers Community

Coopers Carbonation Drops - white milky slick in bottom of bottle

TroyJ3

Hey all - just a quick one. Very new to brewing (done 2 so far). Done 2 stouts and both have a thick white milky syrup in the bottom of the bottle. They are also quite sweet tasting. Could the carbonation drops not have been chewed up by the remaining yeast and be causing the sweet sugary taste? The head is pretty tight but dissipates very quickly aswell.

The older one is 3.5 weeks in the bottle.

Any help much appreciated [happy]

Thick white milky syrup sounds like yeast, when you add sugar to your bottles for carbonation you are giving the yeast more food to create the Co2, the yeast multiply to some degree and when they are finished they drop to the bottom of your bottle.

3.5 weeks is not long enough for ageing, some beers are 'acceptable' after this period but they wont be at there best until about the 3 month mark, the head will also improve over time.

Like many of us you will probably continue in the bad habit of drinking your beers to early and not as good as they could be.

Welcome to the forums mate

Troy, we all do it old mate. especially when we're starting out and haven't built a stockpile, so don't feel bad about that.

it's good to taste beers at about 2-3 weeks, then at 3 months, then at 6 months, because it educates you going forward.

Graham's right - the stuff in the bottom is sediment. try not to stir it up too much, use about a 320ml glass, and you'll leave most of it in the bottom.

welcome mate, it's a great hobby, and this forum will teach u heaps. most important? brew at appropriate temps, not at the temps the instructions say ;)

I try not to cos i always forget [crying] [crying] [crying]

I totally forgot a couple of gingerbeers in the freezer and they popped and foamed. wrecked a load of pheasant, rabbit and assorted wild fruits.

As a great man once said,

'Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.

Fool me -- you can't get fooled again.'

[biggrin] [biggrin]

Cheers for all the replies ! Feeling welcomed [biggrin]

Thinks its more the sugar from the carb drops in the bottom - thats the sugar sweetness im tasting. Its nothing like the sediments you get in retail Coopers. The beer is not very carbonated and the not much head that dissipates very quickly. Guess Ill just have to be more patient and leave them longer to see what happens. So impatient !!

I avoid the freezer aswell and try to leave them chill in the fridge for 24-48 hrs before drinking too.

Thanks again.

The sweetness is likely due to the cause of not finished carbonating. Yep' date=' leave them for a little while and they will/should carb up nicely for you.[/quote']

The waiting game BAHH!! Patience is a virtue I guess [lol]

Archived