Coopers Community

New to brewing...

JoelM4

Hi everyone,

I am very new to brewing, so please be kind.....

I have made only one batch of IPA. It turned out ok.....the taste and aroma is very nice, but the alcohol level seems quite low.

After doing more research, I may have done something very dumb. Do I add the dextrose during the initial mixing for primary fermentation? I only added the malt and the contents of the can before pitching the yeast. Could the lack of sugars maybe account for the lower alcohol content? The only other sugar I added was during the bottling phase. I am hoping to start my 2nd batch in the next day or two. I am using the Cooper's IPA again, with the hopes of more alcohol this time!

I am also having trouble figuring out how to read the hydrometer with precision, but maybe I will do a better job this time. I am also considering adding another yeast packet.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Joel

Whether you add the sugar before the majority of the "top-up" water or after (prior to pitching the yeast) will not make any difference to the level of alcohol as the yeast will get to it either way. However, the prefered and proven best method is obviously at the very start.

If you want more ABV% then add more Malt or Dextrose (sugar) with Dextrose being the more fermentable sugar. However, you should also be aware to keep everything in balance.

If you can provide the recipe you did then we will be able to give you some advice as to prefered methods to up you ABV%.

With regards to your hydrometer, just run a sample off then ditch that and run another. Spin the hydrometer around a few times to dislodge any bubbles and take the reading from the bottom of the meniscus. See HERE for a diagram of where the reading is taken from.

Welcome to the forums Joel.

Basically to make beer more alcoholic you need more fermentables in the beer. Fermentables are basically sugar.

Malt is a sugar adds more alcohol while adding a little body to the brew. This is because the yeast aren't able to eat all of the malt and leave some of it behind which creates more body with more alcohol. I recommend using malt as it makes for tasty beers.

Dextrose is another sugar that only provides alcohol to the brew. The yeast are able to fully ferment this which doesn't add any body to the brew and is used to bump up the alcohol. A lot of people (including myself) don't use dextrose as it can add off flavors to your beer (I have never experienced them when I used to use it).

Other incredients have often been used (honey etc) to add other flavours into the brew while fermenting out.

I find the IPA kit itself only a good base to make a good IPA (it is fairly mild compared to a normal IPA). When you feel comfortable with brewing check out dry hopping which can add another dimension to your beers.

Glad you like your first brew as I hated mine.

Hi again everyone,

To answer some of the questions, here are the steps I did.

1. Added 1kg of light malt.

2. Added 2L of hot water and swirled around the mixture until dissolved

3. Added the 1.7kg contents of the IPA Can.

4. Topped up with cool water to about 23L and mixed thoroughly.

5. Added one yeast packet, and sealed with stopper on it for CO2 to release.

6. Waited one week for bubbling to stop and SG to be constant.

7. Siphoned to bottles with 8g sugar/liter for carbonation

I never actually added the dextrose. Could the lack of sugar be the reason for the low alcohol?

Before I start this time, I am trying to be a bit better prepared. I now have 1kg of dextrose and another additional 1kg of light malt as well as another yeast packet.

With regards to dry hopping, I am trying to crawl before I walk. Once I have a decent beer with respectable ABV, I will explore that option.

Thank you all so much for the support and help.

I look forward to your advice.

Joel

Ok, I will go for the extra dextrose. Thank you.

What if I only filled up to 21L of water? Would that not make it a bit stronger? Or would that affect the flavour and is not worth it?

Thanks again,

Joel

Filling to 21 liters will work too :)

Most people seem to stick to an upper limit of about 300g dextrose, but adding more will be fine if you're more interested in ABV than taste.

I tend to stick with 1kg LDM and 300g dex, seems to work well.

Joel, something's not right here. You have given us 2 different ways you did this one brew. Therefore, how can someone help when you don't even know what you did yourself?

You said in your OP...

I only added the malt and the contents of the can before pitching the yeast.

But now you haven't made mention of this at all and claim instead you did the following....

Hi again everyone,

To answer some of the questions, here are the steps I did.

1. Added 1kg of light malt.

2. Added 2L of hot water and swirled around the mixture until dissolved

3. Added the 1.7kg contents of the IPA Can.

4. Topped up with cool water to about 23L and mixed thoroughly.

5. Added one yeast packet, and sealed with stopper on it for CO2 to release.

6. Waited one week for bubbling to stop and SG to be constant.

7. Siphoned to bottles with 8g sugar/liter for carbonation

I never actually added the dextrose. Could the lack of sugar be the reason for the low alcohol?

Before I start this time, I am trying to be a bit better prepared. I now have 1kg of dextrose and another additional 1kg of light malt as well as another yeast packet.

Joel

I am confused now [pinched] [unsure] [unsure]

Unless I am reading it wrong, one quote states the Malt and the can was added BEFORE pitching the yeast, i.e. AFTER topping up with water. Whereas the other states it was added BEFORE topping up with water.

Archived