Coopers Community

Pilsner help for first timer.

shawnm5

I have a Coopers Pilsner fermenting just as the can calls for. except I wasnt able to get the temp down. It's been going now for 14 days at 68 f. My question is , will this beer turn out? and how much longer can I expect in primary? It is still bubbling at a rate of one burp per min. And a second question is it seems that the yeast has setteled on the side of my carboy? is this norm? sulfer smell has mostly passed and it seems the yeast ring is going away also, but just lightly. I am going to bottle condition it, so also curious at what rate i should prime at if anyone has that info. thanks and I appreciate any help.

20C is very high for pilsener, 12-15 would be better (50-60F), but what's done is done and i'm sure it will be drinkable.

Here's sometihing I saved at some point:

'Primary Ferment at 50\xb0F for 2 weeks, rack and Lager at 40\xb0F for 6 weeks. Prime and bottle at room temperature.'

Kinda extreme, but the 'correct' way to do it. personally, its too much like had work for my liking. I did it more like you did.

Don't trust the airlock bubbles. What was the Original Gravity and what's it at now?

Yeast will settle wherever it can. If its one of those carboys with the ridges it will settle on the ridges. Don't worry about it.

Its better if it settles on the bottom, because it wont go dripping into the brew as you bottle, but whatever gets into the suspension will settle in the botles.

The rest of the sulfer/egg smell will go away in the bottles with time.

I usually prime at 8grams per liter (half it if you're kegging), but i'm sure someone else will correct me if i'm wrong.

68f (20C) is way too hot for a lager Shawn - I guess you'll have to wait and see just what effect that has on the taste (It may well be ok).

As for how much longer in primary well only you can tell that. What does your hydrometer tell you? Ignore the airlock it really means nothing (besto place for an airlock is in the trash....in my opinion [biggrin] . I'd guess that fermentation is complete due to the high temps but check the gravity a couple of times over a few days to confirm.

Check out this Bottle & Bulk Priming Calculator for an idea of priming rates.

wow thanks guys! been a great help, I am going to take my hydrometer readings now and in the morn. So now I am wondering, is the yeast incleded with the coopers kit a true lager yeast or more od a hybrid able to handle the higher temps? thanks again!

wow thanks guys! been a great help' date=' I am going to take my hydrometer readings now and in the morn. So now I am wondering, is the yeast incleded with the coopers kit a true lager yeast or more od a hybrid able to handle the higher temps? thanks again![/quote']

Yes it's a Lager yeast in the Pilsner kit LINKY

That's odd... I read someone mentioning that the lager kit comes with an ale yeast, or maybe a mix of ale and lager yeasts... Or is that just the 'original series' lager?

Does the european series lager have the same yeast as the pilsener, and original series have an ale mix?

I am looking at putting my second (true) lager down. First time with the Pilsner kit.

I was looking at fermenting at 10C for a couple of weeks.

I was looking at also doing the whole lager thing so was wondering what thoughts people have on d-rests etc.

I am not to familiar with lagers but I figured a 2 weeks in the fermenter at 10C, then a week at 20C and then when I keg I will store it in the fridge at 5C for a couple of months before I drink it.

Anyone have any thoughts on doing that.

Thanks,

This Lager caper sounds like too much work to me. And too long for beer drinking time [annoyed]

I think the same as well. I am hoping it makes a clear shallow beer that doesn't do much for me so I can give my mates who drink a lot of Tooheys and they can deal with it. I like to brew for my mates as well as myself.

I am not to familiar with lagers but I figured a 2 weeks in the fermenter at 10C' date=' then a week at 20C and then when I keg I will store it in the fridge at 5C for a couple of months before I drink it.[/quote']

You may find that it could take 3 weeks at 10C for fermentation to complete. Depending on your recipe, I would ferment at 10C for a couple of weeks then if you feel you require a D-rest, raise the temp to about 14-15C until it has finished. Then keg and lager it.

However, what I did recently on a Pils was....

Ferment at 10C until it's finished. I don't have a problem with Diacetyl so didn't worry about a rest. Natural prime in the keg and left it for 2 months. (don't splash or burp the keg and remember to only use half the priming rate as you would for bottles). Turned out truely a magnificant drop. [love]

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys, I am drinking a nice chilled glass of this Steam beer accident. I have to say, it turned out quite well. It is still a bit young but after a cpl weeks in the bottle it tastes very clean and crisp. I think with a cpl more weeks this will be a great summer beer and a very nice beer overall. I did everything like u would an ale, no lagering. Brewed and fermented everything in the basement at 68 degrees except pitched yeast at 72 degrees. I think I will make this again and try lightly hopping it with some armarillo hops to jazz it up a little. Thanks guys for all the help and advise.

Archived