Coopers Community

Dry hop to bottle?

LordEoin

I wanted to give myself a crash course in hop flovours.

So, i was thinking...

1 - find a pretty neutral kit

2 - brew as normal

3 - when bottling add a little hops to each bottle

4 - ??????

5 - Profit!

I was thinking of using the sparkling ale kit with 2 grams of assorted hops per bottle.

But then a few questions popped up

1 - will it work?

2 - what kit would be 'neutral' enough? (ale preferrably)

3 - could i just make a cheap-ass LDM-only wort?

4 - will pellets be ok, or will they make a sludgy mess?

5 - will the sludgy mess sink to the yeast layer?

6 - hop suggestions? (already thinking: amarillo, cascade, fuggles, goldings, chinook, halertau, saaz, magnum)

I have many more questions floating about in my head, but i figure 6 is pushing it as it is [bandit]

To be honest, I dont really care if some hop matter makes it to my glass, I really just want to know if this will work to give me a good guide on each hop's taste.

And at the end of it, i'll have 100gram bags of many different hops for later use [biggrin]

hmm yes I reckon it would work, plain kits the mexican style is probably the plainest although a pale ale will be nice. It will be very sludgey with pellets. It will be messy no matter what you use unless you manage to get hop oil. All hops worth a try [biggrin]Maybe just try a bottle or two next batch to save wastage if you dont like the outcome.

Hmm Mikkeller have a range of single hopped ipas that are very nice!

The mess douesnt bother me, it just means i'd need to clean each bottle immediately after pouring (easy until 6 or 7 bottles later [biggrin] )

Wastage doesn't bother me too much either, as it would be a purely experimental batch.

I figure though, that as dry hopping to the FV doesn't cause too much mess, it should be the same but in miniature in a bottle...

If you check out Immolateus' channel on YouTube, he did a little series on hops and flavours, and also gave some advice on how to test the flavours of the hops. I think it was a mini hop tea or something, but I can't remember for sure.

If you want flavour you need to boil for 20mins, dry will only give you aroma.

Seen a guy use a small pan of water with some dme to make a hop malt tea to work out the taste and aroma in some wild hops. Edit Smithy just reminded me it was immolateous who did this

SMASH beers (Single Malt And Single Hop) is anouther method you could do. You could make 1 Litre batches using DME and 2L lemonade bottles as fermenters then rack off each into a 750ml PET, label and condition.

Seen a guy use a small pan of water with some dme to make a hop malt tea to work out the taste and aroma in some wild hops. Edit Smithy just reminded me it was immolateous who did this

SMASH beers (Single Malt And Single Hop) is anouther method you could do. You could make 1 Litre batches using DME and 2L lemonade bottles as fermenters then rack off each into a 750ml PET, label and condition.

Thanks, Graham [biggrin] You explained it a lot better than I could've [rightful]

Thanks, Graham [biggrin] You explained it a lot better than I could've [rightful]

I just cant type as fast as you Smithy [lol] We have a receptionist job going here, how do you look in a mini skirt ??

I just cant type as fast as you Smithy [lol] We have a receptionist job going here, how do you look in a mini skirt ??

Well I don't like to toot my own horn, but I think I look pretty damn good in one [w00t]

Firstly, I'm sure you'd be the Belle of the office Smithy. [innocent]

Next, this looks interesting LINKYLINK

FInally, yeah, I totally forgot about the boil. [pinched]

So i grabbed 4 of the pilsener i just bottled and cracked them open, then tried the following (2 grams each):

1 - dry hop

2 - hop 'tea' (espresso cup, til cool, 20 min)

3 - hop 'tea' put in oven at 100C to simmer instead of cool (20 min)

3 - hop boil in a tiny bit of water (20 min, annoying because you need to add a spoon of water every now and then to stop it drying)

I suppose i'll let you know in 2 weeks when they're carbed up a bit....

was the day after my old band had a reunion gig. Was part of our stage attire [lol] to excited about drinking beer at Little Creatures to clean myself up [roll]

I wonder if I can use that excuse when people ask me why I'm wearing that skirt mentioned above... [joyful]

Once again Bill, you have me intrigued...

Not too sure about a Hoppuccino though, maybe a Hopspresso.

I might mash up a pellet and mix it with the coffee grinds in my litle percOlator thing.

Worst case scenario, i can just down the thing.

Another idea just sprung to mind...

I could make a cup of espresso with just ground hop pellets, leave it cool, and just dump some into my pint glass of beer.

If it works to get all the flavour out of coffee beans, Iid be pretty confident that it wouldn't do too bad a job with hops.

TO THE PERCOLATOR![biggrin] (SWMBO is going to hate me in about 10 minutes...)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1qCNg_EcS4hHCrwG5lMaKfxnWw9Vg9UNtiwk3M_vNc4kDB-M8

She'd probably kill you adam[rightful] , very strong hop smell in the house now...

but it seems to work.

9 grams of hops makes one super concentrated Hopspresso.

it makes a bit of a mess of the coffee grinder though.

Tried with what i had in the freezer, cascade and amarillo, dropped a half tablespoon into a half pint (wheatbeer, nice and plain) and can taste the difference between them for sure.

tried a 50/50 and it tasted like a cheap and strong tasting version of the Fruit salad ale I have brewing, so it cant be too far off.

I think that this is the way I'll do it, depending on how the bottles get on...

Now, time to give my tastebuds a rest [biggrin]

Hmmm' date=' maybe this is way to help SWMBO appreciate the smell of hops better. She loves coffee, but can't drink it. When i make it she hovers. But when I do hops she whines a lot [annoyed']

My partner is the opposite in regards to hops. When I have a boil going she quite often comes just to stick her nose in it. When I get her to sample my brews all she says is "YUK tastes like beer". Oh well more for me.

You can always get a coffee plunger and put your hops in that. Then pour a little of this in each bottle as you need.

This will reduce any hop debris. As to how many hops and how much to put in your bottles then you can either calculate this of just trial and error.

That's an awesome idea for making a hop tea when brewing a batch.

Coffee and your assorted brewing tools, I love thee!

Although it might be a bit too diluted to work for what i'm going for with this.

Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to dump the hopspressos the other night, so i made them into ice cubes.

I've been dropping them into beers all night and they are the business.

If you have a beer you think is too plain, try this! [biggrin]

I can't wait to order a bunch of different hops to test this out on.

all life is a great chain' date=' the nature of which is known whenever we are shown a single link of it. Like all other arts, the Science of Deduction and Analysis is one which can only be acquired by long and patient study, nor is life long enough to allow any mortal to attain the highest possible perfection in it.[/quote']

Nobody can know everything, we can only learn from what others have learned before us and what we add to it...

Archived