Coopers Community

Dry hop to bottle?

LordEoin

Bollox' date=' my wife knows effing EVERYTHING!![/quote']

Keep letting her believe that and everything will be ok[rightful]

I tried Budweiser once. I learnt a helluva lot

Well... that was your mistake...[biggrin]

I made a brew that I was unhappy with the lack of hops taste - too much malt and not effort bitterness, flavour or aroma. It's drinkable but needs more. I bought some galaxy flowers to put in the glass when I drink it.

But, after Eoin's post I'm now debating another option...

I have 11 bottles (approx. 8 Litres) left of this beer. So, would it be feasible to empty a little out of each bottle into another one, then make up a hop tea and top up each bottle?

Proposing to do a 60 min boil with some flowers to get the IBU up, then I have some spare galaxy pellets I can use for a 15 min boil for flavour, then a steep in the coffee plunger to get the aroma out of some of the galaxy flowers.

I'm not too sure of what sort of quantities I should use though?

I was thinking of perhaps....

10g galaxy flowers @60 mins (12.5% AA)

5g cascade pellets @15 mins

10g galaxy flowers steeped 10 mins

My coffee plunger is a single cup unit - so it would be about 250 mL water.

Thoughts?

If it helps, I used 9 grams per hopspresso (45 ml) and got 4 cubes from each.

One cube per pint made a nice improvement where you could make out the different tastes.

Maybe aim for 2.5grams total hops per bottle, so with 8 bottles try 20 grams hops.

That 10/5/10 mix would probably be great [biggrin]

It would suit my tastes anyway! [happy]

Two weeks on from when i hopped those bottles and the results are in:

First i tried the dry hop - it foamed and gushed similar to a shaken champagne bottle. SWMBO will kill me in the morning.

Then i tried the tea+oven - same.

I got a taste of both and it was good, but filled with foamy hop mush.

So i figured I'd put the remaining 2 in the freezer for a while to drop the pressure and it solved that problem.

Hop tea - Absolutely f*&*&^ng amazing! tastes great. better head retention than the pilsener on its own. Still perfectly clear as the hop matter mostly stayed in the bottle. I probably wasted only the last 20-40 ml of the bottle.

I did a quick google on cascade to see how the 'experts' describe the taste and got 'a pleasant, flowery and spicy, citrus-like quality with a slight grapefruit characteristic' and i can taste all of that through it.

Hop boil - more bitter but still a fantastic drop, just as clear but with some little bits of hop matter making it to the glass.

The hop ice cubes were good. They're simple and versatile, I was dropping them into pints of carlsberg the other night and it turned them into a craft beer. Downside is that the beer is cloudy and the taste hasn't 'infused' with the beer, and also the mess in the coffee grinder.

But hop tea (with mush) directly to bottle knocks the socks off it. Downside, none really apart from the effort.

That's the way i'll be going and if anyone else wants to try a few varieties of hops without having to make a whole brew of it, I'd recommend this way.

By the way, here's a pic of the clarity even after that thick layer of hop mush at the bottom of the bottle. The head retention is nice and fluffy even after about 5 mins in this pic, and lasted all the way down.

pilsnerhopteaaddedtobottle.jpg

Archived