Coopers Community

Russian Imperial racking

JohnR13

G'Day Guys,

About to do my first RIS as per recipe on forum. I have just bought a new coopers FV but would prefer to use my 60lt FV to avoid a big mess. When I transfer to a second FV on day three, do I have to do anything extra eg stir the brew before racking or anything else. I have food grade hose so I'll go from tap to tap.

Will there be enough yeast in the second FV to continue on fermenting.

I dont intend to rack other brews as I've always been happy with the quality of my beer (thorough testing helps!) but for this RIS it seems common.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

John

JUst rack it gently to the other vessel - Don't stir and try not agitate it too much.

I haven't got one of the fancy new Coopers fermentors but understand that they are large enough to accomodate the RIS - and then all you have to do is remove the Krausen collar rather than rack to another vessel. But then again I may just be talking out of my arse [biggrin]

I did a RIS about 3 months ago. I would go with the LARGE fermenting vessel. The foaming was amazing. When the foam starts to subside, probably after about 3 days but wait for the collapse, transfer as you would any other brew, no stirring or worrying there.

Other than the bottling day tasting, I haven't tried it yet, but it was amazing then. Plan on cracking a bottle open next month for my first real taste.

Yep, the DIY BEER FV is able to accomodate the RIS recipe.

Make sure to fit the lid clips to join the Krausen Kollar and Lid together as one unit. These act a bit like a piston (going up and down) at the height of foaming. Once the foam dies away, the Lid and Krausen kollar can be removed, the Lid cleaned and replaced, no need to rack - put a sheet of clingwrap over FV while cleaning the lid. [cool]

Yep, the DIY BEER FV is able to accomodate the RIS recipe.

Make sure to fit the lid clips to join the Krausen Kollar and Lid together as one unit. These act a bit like a piston (going up and down) at the height of foaming. Once the foam dies away, the Lid and Krausen kollar can be removed, the Lid cleaned and replaced, no need to rack - put a sheet of clingwrap over FV while cleaning the lid. [cool]

Thanks PB.

I might do it in the large tub anyway as the new Coopers FV is being used for sparkling ale at the moment. Obviously no need to rack it though.

Cheers

John

Thanks PB.

I might do it in the large tub anyway as the new Coopers FV is being used for sparkling ale at the moment. Obviously no need to rack it though.

Cheers

John

I found that I left my RIS in the fermenter for a really long time (2 months). If your planning on doing this, maybe rack after a month just so it doesn't sit on the yeast cake. I have heard that if your brew sits on the yeast cake you can get autolysis which can give you beer a yeasty to rubbery taste.

I left my RIS in the fermenter for 2 months and didn't get any of this so as far as I know it could be a myth.

It all depends on your sanitation. If you're meticulous then you could leave your brew in the fermenter a long time. All home brews have some degree of foreign nasties in there, so how long it lasts depends on how many and what kind I guess.

I'm no expert, just repeating what I've read [cool]

It all depends on your sanitation. If you're meticulous then you could leave your brew in the fermenter a long time. All home brews have some degree of foreign nasties in there, so how long it lasts depends on how many and what kind I guess.

I'm no expert, just repeating what I've read [cool]

Autolysis is what is supposed to happen if you leave your brew sitting on the yeast cake too long. I have only ever read about it and never actually experienced it (so it could be made up as far as i know [lol] ). Just one of those things to think off.

I don't recommend changing your procedures on the crap that comes out of my mouth or typed into the keyboard (especially when I am testing some of my brews [biggrin] )

Archived