Coopers Community

Ideal conditioning temperatures and time?

Scott1525228380

Been an age since I last posted and a bit of a rookie question but was wondering what is the ideal temp (and time) for conditioning a brew?

I brew mostly Authentic IPA & ES Bitter and as non of my batches last more than about 4 weeks [roll] from bottling it is stored around 20 deg C. Then 45 mins or so in the fridge before drinking.

I am hoping to get a move on and brew several batches ready for summer. My question is...

I have 3 possible storage options - room temp at this time of year around 20-25. Cold store around 10. Or fridge around 5...

Any suggestions about optimal temp and storage time would be much appreciated!

If bottling, I find 6-8 weeks for most beers seem pretty good. However, this really depends on the recipe and hops used. Generally the higher the ABV% then the longer in the bottle. Well, that's what I find anyway :)

With regards to the storage temps then generally it is cooler the better. even though 20-25C is ok I am more enclined to store as cool as practical/possible.

I brew mostly Authentic IPA & ES Bitter and as non of my batches last more than about 4 weeks [roll] from bottling it is stored around 20 deg C. Then 45 mins or so in the fridge before drinking.

At what point should I be moving it from 20 deg to 10 deg?

Hey Scott

This is where your dilemma lies. Bill gives the ideal scenario but Damien presents the practical solution for your situation. That's because you should be carbing for at least two weeks and possibly up to four before moving bottles to a cooler climate. You may find moving to cool stoarge results in poor carbonation if your yeast is a bit slow.

In your case I would be storing at 20'C for the four weeks then moving to the fridge for a week, I reckon your missing out a bit with a 45 minute fast chill [cool]

Thanks Nelson. I think that makes things a bit clearer... 4 weeks for carbing sounds good, but I think I will go for the cold store before the fridge...

Maybe it's cause I'm an 'exPat' but I don't like my real ales or bitters 'fridge cold' - I think it detracts from the flavour... I wouldn't drink my fav red wine straight from the fridge, if you get my drift.

If it has been cooled longer I find removing it 30 mins before drinking a good guideline. Contrary to popular belief, POMS don't really drink warm beer! [lol]

POMS don't really drink warm beer! [lol]

Do they call us that in CA as well [lol]

I've tryed explaining the whole cellar temp bitter thing to the guys at work but unfortunately they dont actually know what real cask ale is bless them.

Scott, you are lucky guy to have the option to store at different temps.

I would store at room temp for at least 4 weeks, perhaps 6 to be sure it is fully carbed.

Then just store them at 10 degrees until you want to drink them.

In winter, I tend to store my English Bitters in the garage and I can (most of the time) drink them without further refrigeration. I am not sure what temp it is but it is perfect for the lowly carbonated and flavoursome English Bitter.

Do they call us that in CA as well [lol]

I've tryed explaining the whole cellar temp bitter thing to the guys at work but unfortunately they dont actually know what real cask ale is bless them.

That's too funny GrahamB8, yes they do - I have had that conversation many times - mostly to a 'deer in the headlights look' cask real ale, cellar temp, eh??? [lol]

Thanks Hairy - sounds like the perfect solution! Actually 10 degrees is pretty much a perfect temp to server those strong dark ales and bitter. [joyful]

Archived