Coopers Community

English Ale Yeast - Low Attenuation?

PhilboBaggins

Hi there all. Just hoping that some of you can confirm some of the things I've found in my research since putting on this latest English Bitter. Recipe was:

1 x Coopers English Bitter

1.5kg Amber LME

250g steeped chocolate malt

125g Dextrose

(Several hop additions)

15g Brew Cellar English Ale Yeast

I've never brewed with yeasts other than the kit yeasts before, and this one seems to be quite different to what I'm used to. It went mental during the first 3 days. Masses of foam and gas being produced even at 20-22c, but then slowed and stopped.

I'm on day 10 now and temps have been fine. It has stopped at 1016. When I'm taking my samples, the yeast still seems to be totally in suspension. What I've read seems to suggest that this is a low attenuation strain which is non-flocculent. The descriptions I've heard of the Windsor Ale Yeast seem to match what I'm seeing exactly.

Am I right to assume nothing is wrong,and that I'll be good to bottle and prime at the normal rate this weekend?

Cheers.

I don't know too much about the Brew Cellar English Ale yeast.

As for the standard English dry yeast, Windsor is likely to finish with a higher FG than S-04.

So if the Brew Cellar is like Windsor then 1016 is pretty much right.

Even if it is like S-04, you aren't far off and it looks like it is done.

I'm surprised about all the yeast in suspension though; the English Ale yeasts tend to floculate really well.

It was about 1047-1048 according to my notes. 23L.

Just to clarify, I used the Brew Cellar English Ale yeast, I don't actually know if this is the same as Windsor, it's just behaving in the same way to all the reviews/info I've read about the Windsor yeast.

Thanks for all the responses people. I'm gonna bottle this weekend anyway, because I know full well that nothing's gone wrong, it's just very different to what I'm used to seeing.

All the best,

Phil

personally Ive stayed away from repackaged yeast.

If I want a type of yeast I buy the sort I want from Trusted 'manufacturers' not repackaged yeast that who knows who repackaged in what conditions.

Danstar

Safale

etc..

just about to start on liquid yeast soon... going to start a smallish Yeast Bank ofa various good yeasts and stop buying hopefully [bandit]

Archived