Coopers Community

Ginger Beer = Foamy

JoelS4

Hi all,

I have just created a 2nd batch of ginger beer (GB). The first batch was alcoholic and had too much head (foamy with a soapy kind of taste to it - just the head part). With the 2nd batch, which is nonalcoholic, it still has a ridiculous amount of head and a similar soapy tinge to the head, the actual gb tastes great, exactly as I was aiming for. The gb has been bottled for 3 weeks now, and as I picked one up to try it, I could hear the gas escaping a small bit...When I opened the flip-top the whole thing flew off and gb spurted out.

1. Cleaning and Sanitsation shouldn't be the issue with the slightly soapy taste. (Cleaned thoroughly with hot water and the coopers cleaning powder, sanitised with copper tun).

2. The temperature shouldn't really be the issue, as im in Victoria and the house temp is likely under 20 degrees and bottles are stored in a cool, dark cupboard.

When I pour the gb into a glass the whole glass becomes froth and eventually settles.

Does anyone know what I should or shouldn't be doing?

If its not an infection and you carb'ed correctly then it could simply be the temperature your pouring at mate.

Put one in the fridge for 2 days then try opening it, Co2 is absorbed into solution better in colder temps, new beers opened at room temps would be prone to gush.

I have some GB in the cupboard with a slight soapy taste to it, I havent brewed it since, the bottles are about 1 year old, I really should pour them but it breaks my heart (havent tryed one for 6 months, maybe I should)

Ok, Thanks for that I'll wait a bit longer to open them from the fridge.

Also, would I need to theoretically do some sort of at home pasteurisation? Will the pressure continue to build until the bottles explode with the non-alcoholic ginger beer?

Im not talking about C02 production Im talking about the solubility at different temperatures of the Co2 thats already there from carbonation

At warmer temperatures some of the Co2 comes out of solution and sits in the headspace increasing the pressure

Yes, but say you carb them at 25\xb0C, there's a certain amount of pressure in the bottle. Then you chill them in the fridge and the beer absorbs more of the Co2. If you took them out and back to 25\xb0C then the pressure would only build to the original amount it was before chilling would it not? It doesn't infinitely increase unless more gas is produced. Or you leave them out in the sun or something and they roast.. not sure why anyone would do that though [lol]

His beer is only 3 weeks old and was slowly carbonated at lower than recommended temps so Im suggesting theres excess co2 still in the headspace that hasn't had the time to be absorbed into the liquid.

Of course not being greedy and leaving the bottles for a couple more weeks in there current environment will also fix this [biggrin]

If the above doesn't fix it than it could be one of the following

. Infection

. Too much carbing sugar

. Bottled to early

How can there be so many answers without the right information to start with?

How did you carbonate it?

What type of sugar and how much did you use?

What was the brew volume?

How big are the bottles?

Did you bulk prime?

I think you answered the rest like temps etc. However, one can not just assume the above for a correct analysis.

Hi,

I used the coopers gb kit so, 1kg raw sugar as per instructions. I primed with 2 carbonation drops in 750 ml glass fliptop bottles. Brew volume was about 20liters as per kit recommendation.

Anyone who doubts Graham's point regarding the pouring temps should go open a warm bottle of coke...

At colder temps the gas is well absorbed into solution. When warm, the the gas is released and pressure will build in the head space till it is equal in pressure to the gas in solution.

Once that pressure (head space) is alleviated by opening the bottle, the trapped gas in solution releases quickly resulting in "gushers".

I will assume he IS chilling the GB.

I have brewed two of the Coopers GB and am sorry to say I didn't like either of them - soapy saccharin was my impression.

The first one was very "foamy" and certainly was a "gusher" if the bottle was allowed to warm before opening.

I paid closer attention to the second attempt and noticed the yeast appeared to stall at the end for a period before resuming its work.

Perhaps this happened with Joel's batch, he has simply bottled a few points before FG has been reached.

IMHO

Anyone who doubts Graham's point regarding the pouring temps should go open a warm bottle of coke...

At colder temps the gas is well absorbed into solution. When warm, the the gas is released and pressure will build in the head space till it is equal in pressure to the gas in solution.

Nope, I'm not doubting it I am merely suggesting that one can not just assume it is something without knowing the facts when there are multiple possibilities of the cause.

TBH: I'd actually carb GB with more than 2 drops per 750ml. Aussie beer is carbed at around 2.5 volumes Co2 and that is about 2 carb drops in 750ml (give or take a little). I personally prefer Ginger Beer carbed at around 3.5-4.0 volumes Co2.

Nevertheless, this doesn't help your issue. I'd like to know what the problem was when you work it out please.

Thankyou to everyone for your comments.

I suspect the artificial sweetener may be contributing to the soapyness and the foam somehow.

Chilling in the fridge helps reduce a little bit of the head.

Bill K, wouldn't priming with more sugar increase carbonation?

Think I will try without a kit next time, see what kind of result I get.

Thanks

Joel

Archived