Coopers Community

newbie question

PatF1

I have tasted my beer a few times and recently it seems a bit weird almost like mediciney... It smells good! So my question is how much will the beer change do to bottling and carb drops??

my latest SG reading was 1011.

1 coopers lager can

500g Enhancer 1

1kg DME

11.5g ale yeast

I mixed the ingredients with 2 liters and added water to 23L. then added the yeast... Its been 10 days so far in stage 1.

What temp did you ferment at and what was it when you pitched the yeast?

What is your ceaning/sanitising regime?

Recipe doesn't look too "out of the ordinary". I personally don't go much on the Lager.

temp was 22c when I pitched the yeast.

It went down to 19c for about 5 days and is back up to 22c.

It was the first time I used the FV so I used a little bleach and hot water.

could it be i didnt mix the ingredients enough?

I was thinking the exact same thing but from a different source, everything else looks good.

LINKYLINK

Description: "Band-Aid" like flavor or aroma, that can also present itself as medicine-like or clovey. Chlorophenols resemble the aforementioned taste descriptors combined with bleach. Phenols are usually part of the flavor profile in Belgians and Wheat beers however.

Cause: Bacterial Contamination can be responsible, or not rinsing your equipment thoroughly after sanitizing with bleach is another culprit. Also, phenols can be leached from the grain husks by overcrushing or oversparging your malt.

Remedy: Good sanitation once again is key. Make sure to always rinse your equipment thoroughly if you sanitize with bleach or a bleach-based sanitizer. Be more cognizant of grain crushing and sparging methods.

Try and stay away from bleach and go for something with little smell and taste.

I just use boiling water and a soft sponge on the FV and soak the small bits in VWP before rinsing with cold water.

Nothing's gone wrong yet...

In saying that though, the beer's warm and flat and not even in a bottle yet. My lager tasted mank outof the FV too, but a few weeks in the bottle sorted it out and made it quite nice. [biggrin]

thanks guys! Ya i used very little bleach and rinsed everyhing with almost boiling water a couple times to be sure...

I will probably just bottle in a few days and see what happens!

As others have said, it could possibly be the bleach. I can not see anything else that would give you medicinal flavors. Although just rincing in water means that no sanitary measures have been taken. Therefore, anything in your water will also be in your beer. It is a long shot but certainly shouldn't be ruled out.

Next time just use a cap of el cheapo napisan in a full fermenter. Rinse with hot water and spray with a no rinse sanitiser like Starsan or Iodophor.

Cheers

See what happens with your next one.

Hey Pat, the beer will always taste a bit lousy if you are sampling it while it is brewing.

After a couple of weeks in the bottle it will change the taste. For instance I made up a new recipe a while back fermented it 10 days secondary fermenter 14 days bottle 2 weeks, tasted so bad was going to chuck it. Left it for 2 months, now a good drop, thats how things can change with a little time. Hang on to it and give it a little time.

If you have rinsed it with hot water a couple of times there should be no chlorine taste left. I use it all the time and rinse out with hot water

Warren

Archived