Coopers Community

Old grain

DylanI

Hi all

I assume that grains lose their 'freshness' over time? I brew with extract and specialty grains. I buy my grains pre-crushed in 1kg bags, which is a far larger quantity than I ever use them.

So my question is, if I have say, some medium crystal that is about 6 moths old, is it still worth using? Is it perfectly fine to use? Is it good only in a strong tasting beer (e.g. a porter)? Should I ditch it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Dylan

fresh is best.. 6 months and cracked? Personally I probably wouldnt use it.

The reason we add grains is to freshen up the Kits.. taking that away, I dont feel you are adding anything of note..

Hvae you ever tried a beer with old grains and old hops? [sick]

Yob

Thanks guys.

I keep my grain in an airtight bag. Like you said Bill, for a couple of dollars, I'll ditch them this time.

I may have to look into ordering the grains that I plan to use for each batch.

Cheers,

-Dylan

How do you think it'll go?

slowly [lol]

It'll be fine for small amounts og grain but I wouldnt want to put 6kg through it [lol]

For the price of those listed above you can get a quality MM2 or equivalent.

[ninja]

Ah crap [crying] ... I plan on extending the hopper, and eventually connecting a drill up to it. But for the time being it's going to be used for specialty grains.

I thought the monster mills were about twice the price.

yep... but 10000 times better

I have a Marga Mill which I got second hand.. I hope one day to upgrade to something better but am waiting till I upgrade to double or tripple batched and need to crush 20kg of grain.

yob, would you think that grain mill posted would be fine for amounts under 1kg?

i don't like the electric coffee grinder that i used last time, so i'm looking for something manual that will do it more coarsely.

could i trouble you to perhaps find me something?

i don't want to spend more than $100, because i don't see myself ever going into AG brewing, i just don't have the room, the patience or the set up to do it.

I dont see why not mate, if you dont mind doing it manually then go for it THIS is the one I use.. it came second hand when I bought some gear off a guy through AHB and have been very happy with it.. but mine is set up on a drill bit attachment and I do larger amounts of grain clearly..

You need to decide really on how far you are going with the hobby and buy the products to suit you accordingly.

Yob

+1 for the Marga. They are a good mill for the price and will no doubt chew through almost anything thrown at it. One day I'll upgrade too but for now I am happy with the marga.

Those wanting second hand mills or a cheap mill should really keep an eye on the AHB forums because they have been coming up frequently lately.

Those wanting second hand mills or a cheap mill should really keep an eye on the AHB forums because they have been coming up frequently lately.

dont bloody tell em that.... I'll miss out on an upgrade

[lol] [ninja] [bandit]

Archived