Coopers Community

High FG when everything else seems OK.

kevinm12

[unsure] Hi

I mixed a Tooheys special draught with a coopers brew enhancer kit 1 in 22.5 litres using safale US05 yeast sprinkled on top which started fermenting almost instantly (within an hour or so). The OG was 1048. The temperature has been around the 22 - 24 mark constantly. Its been 10 days and the SG seems to have stabilised at 1018. It has been 1018 for around 3 - 4 days now. The airlock is still bubbling every 45 secs to a minute and I have seen the advice here on "ignoring the airlock" and I am, however, the SG looks a little high to me, and from research I would have expected the FG to be around 1010 - 12. The beer tastes pretty good and I am thinking I should bottle it today or tomorrow but just wondered what everyones thoughts on the FG would be. I have been holding off on bottling hoping the SG would miraculously start moving again..

If the airlock is bubbling DO NOT bottle it has not finished.

I think when people say ignore the airlock they mean if its doing nothing at the start of fermentation that you probably have a leak in the gromit or the lid itself.

Only bottle when you have stable gravity readings over a couple of days, I will leave beer in my FV for 2-3 weeks before bottling and always make sure all activity has ceased.

Gravity readings are also variable by temperature, 1.048 would be high for a gravity taken at 20\xb0c was the wort hotter when you took the measurement?

You may want to check your hydrometer in water at 20 degrees; it should read 1000.

Based on your recipe I would think that the OG would be around 1039. You have an OG of 1048 so this means that either you didn't mix the ingredients properly or your hydromter is out.

This may also explain why your SG is currently 1018 and not at your expected FG.

If your hydrometer is working fine then I wouldn't bottle with an SG that is 7 points higher than your expected FG, especially in glass bottles.

Try to re-activate the yeast by stiring up the trub a little (being gentle and sanitary). If that doesn't work you may have to pitch some more yesat to finish off the job.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the temp when taking your readings. The temps you are brewing at will only slightly affect your readings. It is more of an issue if you take a reading of wort at say 70 degrees after a mash.

Bollox... CO2 can be still coming out of solution / trub well after active ferment has finished...

throw away the airlock things... just one extra thing to clean and sanitise.

I have 3-4 active fermenters at a time and if you can find a single plastic airlock in my entire brewery you can have my 3V rig

[rightful] [lol]

I know airlocks can fire up at change in pressure/temperature and probably other reasons, mine sometimes make a niose when I open my chest freezer where I do my fermentation but I certainly wouldnt bottle if mine was a constant 45sec activity.

Hes only been in primary 10 days it will probably stop all together given a few more days

I think when people say ignore the airlock they mean if its doing nothing at the start of fermentation that you probably have a leak in the gromit or the lid itself.

Only bottle when you have stable gravity readings over a couple of days, I will leave beer in my FV for 2-3 weeks before bottling and always make sure all activity has ceased.

Gravity readings are also variable by temperature, 1.048 would be high for a gravity taken at 20\xb0c was the wort hotter when you took the measurement?

No, when we say ignore the airlock, we mean just that. It is of no use in brewing whatsoever.

No, when we say ignore the airlock, we mean just that. It is of no use in brewing whatsoever.

Of course it has a use in brewing, just some people choose not to use it. I do agree it shouldnt be used as an indication of finished fermentation.

Of course it has a use in brewing' date=' just some people choose not to use it. I do agree it shouldnt be used as an indication of finished fermentation.[/quote']

I have to agree with you there.

It's function is to allow gas to escape and to stop gas & dust from getting in. And it should be viewed as such; not as an indicator of fermentation.

A good reason for getting rid of airlocks is to stop the questions that start with:

"My airlock is not bubbling ........."

Thanks for the replies. Yeah like I said, I am not relying on the airlock and my issue is with the high specific gravity. I did ensure it was all mixed thoroughly and I have checked the hydrometer against 0 gravity. I gave the yeast a bit of a stir yesterday but the SG was still 1018 today. I guess it cant hurt to leave it a few more days before I bottle it.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah like I said' date=' I am not relying on the airlock and my issue is with the high specific gravity. I did ensure it was all mixed thoroughly and I have checked the hydrometer against 0 gravity. I gave the yeast a bit of a stir yesterday but the SG was still 1018 today. I guess it cant hurt to leave it a few more days before I bottle it. [/quote']

Even if it doesn't drop anymore 1018 shouldn't be too bad. It may be a little sweet from unfermented malts though, if you find that it is adding a few drops of Isohop should balance it out.

Here's a good description of it:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/7835/beerwinecoffee/IsoHop_Bitterness_Extract_1_oz

Your local homebrew shop should have it, it's generally around $6 for a 7.5 ml bottle, which goes a surprisingly long way.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah Tooheys probably is the problem (it couldnt possibly be anything I have done ![wink] )

Anyway I've bottled it in glass pickaxe bottles. I hope they don't break because they are very hard to get hold of these days. I've put them in strong cartons and I'll hide them in the shed for a few weeks. Anyone know approximately it might take for bottles to start exploding? I remember many years ago my Dad made a batch that a lottle of bottles exploded but he isn't around any more so I cant ask him! I guess seeing as Yeast stays alive it could happen at any unexpected time in the future..

On the subject of using grains, I recently made a brew with a can of coopers sparkling Ale, a can of coopers wheat malt, some steeped caramalt grain and amarillo hops. Its one of the best brews I have ever tasted and the head retention is fantastic.

Archived