Coopers Community

Aussi Lager kit using LDME ?

JasonB18

So I got 2 cans of the Aussi Lager kit, I also have 4 pounds of LDME, and 600grams of dextrose.

This is what I am thinking,,

1 Can of Lager

2 pounds of LDME

300g dextrose

And use the yeast that comes with the can of lager

Mix at 23 liters

Do you think this will taste ok?

I like the Coopers Aussi Lager kits using BE1 but this time I thought I would try something different, Because I am out of BE1 at the moment.

Awww,, the Lager is great for working around the house. I am always tinkering with something or building something the Lager has been great[lol] It is just a light easy drinking beer, it taste better than a Bud Lite.

My Pilsener beer turned out awesome, yummy, yummy. I might have to get another fermenter so I can keep some Pilseners on the shelf. It takes awhile to brew but worth the wait[cool]

Thanks for the response,, I was just making sure I didn't make a beer that is worse than a Bud Lite. [biggrin]

If you like it with BE1 then you should like it even more with DME!

If you can get your hands on some specialty grains that might help freshen it up a little more and give you some more head retention (if you're into that kinda thing)

I will be building a full grain brewing setup pretty soon, I have a bunch of recipes I want to try out, and a few of my own.

I have recently met a few neighbors that all grain home brew, I have learned alot from them lately. I am very excited about my All grain brew setup, this is going to be alot of fun.

I was just making sure I didn't make a beer that is worse than a Bud Lite. [biggrin]

Here's a recipe to meet your criteria.

- boil a stray cat in 1liter water for 30 mins, add 2 dog turds for 10 min

- add 2kg table sugar and another liter water and simmer til disolved

- Strain gently into the toilet.

- Sprinkle 2 packs of Ale yeast, I find US-05 works well for this recipe

- Leave ferment until you have the same FG reading over 2 or 3 days.

- It is important that you do not flush the toilet during brewing, but you can still use it, the effect is similar to dry-hopping.

- Rack into the bath tub and bulk prime

It's an early drinker, and should replace the Bud light well.

Lager kit......

The best use for it is to wait outside your local bottle shop until you see someone leave with a decent carton of beer, and then brain them with it, and take their beer.

Hell, who am I kidding, even if they had a 30 pack of VB cans, it would be better than wasting your time with the lager kit.

if you are doing it to coopers instructions I fully agree...

HOWEVER.. Like most/all/any kit.. what you have is a base... something to work with and style to your own tastes..

Ive NEVER had ANY kit curl my toes up and give me a big punch in the face that I havnt made my own additions to.. at times to the extreme.

While I cant remember having done the Lager Id bet my leftie I could make it into a corker with the right recipe and correct additions.

While Im not the greatest advocate of Coppers Recipe's or advice in general, in particular, in the how to brew section, Not PB2 Personally who Ive found to be very helpful, howerver..

My personal opinion and experience says that Coopers is a fine range of extract both hopped and unhopped but NONE of them are GREAT by itself and are not meant to be...

they are there to get us into it.. then the forum teaches you how to treat it..

I think the instructions that come with the kit should come only with a link to the forum.

21-27'c indeed...(call that yeast health?)

bottle after 2 days of stable readings indeed... (call that conditioning time?)

the point at the end of the day though is that I believe these kits CAN be made good its just they generally arent coz it's everyones first brew

Yob

I think the instructions in the can are awesome.

They're simple and foolproof.

A good starting point for a beginner.

After a few brews, who looks at the instructions anyway?

I agree that the temperature guide is a bit misleading though.

I think each yeast pack should have a recommended temperature on it near the yeast code, and each kit should have an 'advanced recipe' too, to give people something to aim for.

I like the beer the lager kit makes, but because there are so many commercial lagers out there we all have our own pretty specific tastes in cheap fizzy Pissewasser...

Also, just the mention of VB makes me thirsty, I'm not sure how it qualifies as 'bitter' but I love the stuff. The perfect example of cheap fizzy Pissewasser!

But it costs more than quality Hefeweizen here [sad]

Also' date=' just the mention of VB makes me thirsty, I'm not sure how it qualifies as 'bitter' but I love the stuff[/quote']

I'm still not sure whether it qualifies as a 'beer'.

I agree with you Yob. The Coopers Lager kit gets a bum wrap but you can make it taste ok. Just not with BE1 cooked at 29 degrees.

Also, just the mention of VB makes me thirsty, I'm not sure how it qualifies as 'bitter' but I love the stuff. The perfect example of cheap fizzy Pissewasser!

So, Owen is added to my list of people's opinion to ignore [lol]

The Lager I made from the initial kit I thought was fine. Especially for a first beer. I was actually really happy with it, having tasted other people's homebrew before. I did keep it at about 21-22 degrees after jumping on here.

SWMBO really likes that "Lawnmower Lager". I purchased a second DIY kit on the weekend so I can either get 2 going at once or bulk prime. So now I have the lager can again.

I'm going to do it eventually, but with some additions I think can help improve it, based on my experiences so far:

1. Rehydrate the yeast

2. Add More Malt

3. Add some extra hops for flavour and aroma

Lager kit isnt the most complex flavorwise beer ull see. But with a few additions as Yob stated you could make a nice decent beer.

I recently brewed this Laget kit with 70% Golden Light DME 20% Pilsner DME and 10% Dextrose. With an ounze of Czech Saaz and used a S-04 yeast.

I must say it tastes quite good. Still much much better that any commercial crap you can get. And is not even finished. It only has a week a half in bottle.

Just by browsing around I was sure I had to do a little twist for this brew to make it a decent beer. I know that sometimes people wants to try the base recipe and then twist it to compare, I just make the most of it with what i have because its really hard for me to get kits, malts, ingredients.

I agree with Kike, my recent "Leftover Lager" with 800g LDM,crystal malt, dex and Saaz hops is one of my best beers to date. It has me re thinking my attitude towards the Lager kit and that it can be easily tweaked to produce a great beer. I guess we all had to start somewhere ( with the Lager and BE1 ) and that provides a good starting point to compare all further brews.

My second Lager kit using BE1 turned out great,, maybe its the water here or something. I brewed it at 20c and left it in the fermentor for about 12-13 days to clear up before kegging.

I really like Coopers lighter style Home Brew kits,

I have tried,,

Real Ale -- it is very good, a smooth slight hoppy bite followed by a clean almost sweet after taste. a good beer my friends and family seem to like.

Lager -- Just a really smooth clean light beer, it is great for hot summer days when you start drinking at 10am and don't want to wake up feeling like you got hit by a train the next day.

Draught -- One of my all time favorites( so far) this beer kit has a mix of the Lager and the Real Ale. It is darker than the Lager but Lighter than the Real Ale kit,, I say the Draught kit is something I will always keep on tap.

Pilsener -- This has got to be the best Pilsener I have ever had, I brewed it right. I bought 4 different kinds of Pilseners from the local store and the Coopers kit was the best. I had a bunch of family over and we did taste testing( they did not know what Pilsener they were drinking). They all choose the Coopers Pilsener as the best tasting.

So far I just been using the kits, and have had great results.

Most dark beers taste like rotting grass clippings to me, Epically IPA's, they are to bitter with to much strong hopps.

Some Stouts are ok at first, but leave a burnt after taste in my mouth that won't go away.

I haven't tried the Coopers dark beer kits yet, but someday I might give them a try.

Whats more alarming though is that LordEoin likes VB [pinched]

Correction: LordEoin loves VB

Watching underbelly at the moment, and they're teasing me with it...

Pilsener, eh? Glowing review, Must add that to my to-do list [biggrin] What did you add to it?

Archived