Coopers Community

Advise please: Wheat beer recipe

savagedavid

Hi guys

After following advise on this forum my second ever brew came out an absolute treat and everyone who has tried it complements me on the taste. It was quite simple (Coopers Real Ale can, 250g LDME, 300g dextrose, SAF 04 yeast)

I would like to try a Wheat Beer next (also from the Coopers can) and I hope someone can point me in the direction of a decent recipe.

In a week or so I'm going to try this:

1.7kg Coopers Wheat Beer

1kg Dry Wheat Malt

15g Crushed coriander seed

3 Tbs Orange Zest

Made to 21L

Yeast: Safale WB-06 Wheat Yeast

Add the malt, coriander seed and orange zest to 2L of boiling water. Simmer for 15 mins and then strain in to your fermetor and add the Coopers Wheat goop and mix. Top it up to 21L and sprinkle on the WB-06 or wheat yeast of your choice.

Stolen directly from Muddy Waters[bandit]

My friend has just made a lemon/lime cervasa (spelling?) he used a lemon/lime rind vodka steep which he added just before bottling and I was pretty impressed (the beer was sht but the lemon/lime came through really well [lol] )

Bavarian wheat beers are fairly simple beasts with most of the flavour derived from the yeast.

Perhaps you could start off with a simple one like:

Hefeweizen

Just make sure you use a wheat beer yeast like WB-06 or a liquid wheat yeast.

I've made 3 brews of this so far, the first brew of 2 kits, and in the 128 bottles already gone and the 40odd on the brew, even with me messing things up left-right-and-center I have yet to find a bad one.

If you want a Hefeweize (ie and adventure in taste), change the yeast as was recommended, otherwise just follow the kit instructions and add fermentables to suit your needs.

Just use common sense, don't add anything stupid, keep everything clean, and have fun.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

If you wanted to mix it up a little, you could do what I've just done and make a dunkelweizen (dark wheat beer).

I used (to 23L):

1.7 kg Coopers Wheat beer kit

1.5 kg Coopers Wheat malt extract

0.25 kg Chocolate wheat malt steeped overnight, then boiled

WB-06 Safbrew yeast (Wheat yeast)

I think I added a small amount of Light Dry Malt (0.1kg) to bump up the alcohol a little.

I'll be bottling this one in a few days. I hope the choc wheat is a nice touch.

-Dyl

If you wanted to mix it up a little, you could do what I've just done and make a dunkelweizen (dark wheat beer).

I used (to 23L):

1.7 kg Coopers Wheat beer kit

1.5 kg Coopers Wheat malt extract

0.25 kg Chocolate wheat malt steeped overnight, then boiled

WB-06 Safbrew yeast (Wheat yeast)

I think I added a small amount of Light Dry Malt (0.1kg) to bump up the alcohol a little.

I'll be bottling this one in a few days. I hope the choc wheat is a nice touch.

-Dyl

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind (and what I ordered!) except for the chocolate malt. For bumping up the alcohol content why do you use DME as opposed to dextrose? (sorry I am VERY new at this!)

For my first wheat brew I want to keep it fairly simple, the next one will be the "experimenter"

The wheat beer yeast is an ale yeast so use standard ale yeast temperature (ie. 18-21 degrees).

The temperature will affect the flavour produced. Do a search on the net for wheat beer temps and you will get an idea of what temp produces which flavour.

The wheat beer yeast is an ale yeast so use standard ale yeast temperature (ie. 18-21 degrees).

The temperature will affect the flavour produced. Do a search on the net for wheat beer temps and you will get an idea of what temp produces which flavour.

Thanks

Hey SavageDavid

You are right, that if all I wanted was to bump up the alcohol content, I could have easily used dextrose. My issue here (and perhaps I'm becoming a bit of a purist) is that dextrose isn't (typically) an ingredient in beer. Especially in a German beer with their beer laws. The sugars come from malt.

As for the temperature, I tried to brew my beer at the high end of the temperature range (around 20-22). With a wheat beer, a lot of the flavour comes from the esters given off by the yeast.

We'll see if that backfires on me or not soon when I bottle.

-Dylan

Hey SavageDavid

You are right, that if all I wanted was to bump up the alcohol content, I could have easily used dextrose. My issue here (and perhaps I'm becoming a bit of a purist) is that dextrose isn't (typically) an ingredient in beer. Especially in a German beer with their beer laws. The sugars come from malt.

I totally get what you are saying! Nothing wrong with being a purist...

[cool]

Archived