Coopers Community

BIAB All Grain

Pistnbroke

Gday all

Has anyone had a go at BIAB All grain? I am considering having a crack at perhaps a small batch to begin with to acertain if AG is for me, or if I should just stick to kits, so as a result, I dont want to spend too much money just yet. As a result of this, I am thinking BIAB might be the go, as it seems to be a fairly cheap method of getting into AG.

Things I aleady have:

19L Stock Pot (Cheapie I picked up from big W)

Grain bag (I somehow ended up with this in my parcel when I ordered my hop sock, so I guess that was a bonus)

Butane burner (cheap kind they sell for camping, not sure if this will be powerful enough to heat the water???)

All the other usuals for kit brewing I.E Standard 30L FV, stirring spoon etc...

Is there anything else that I need equipment wise? And does anyone have anything that I could try?

Cheers

Yeah mate I BIAB in a 40L urn.

The best tutorial I can recommend for a 19L pot is Nick JD's 20L stovetop method.

Obviously the stove is just a heat source so you can use your burner instead.

You may need a mill or borrow one from somewhere. Some HBS will mill the grain for you if you ask them nicely.

I also recommend installing Brewmate to work out your recipes. It is free and a very good program.

You may also like to have a look at the Biabrewer website.

I suggest to use a very simple recipe to start with. Maybe something like what Nick has posted in his thread.

I started off with a "bog standard" American Pale Ale along the lines of:

4 kg ale malt

500g Caramalt

Mash 66 degrees for an hour

40g Centennial hops for an hour

40g Cascade for the last 15 mins

dry hop after 4 days with 20g Cascade or Amarillo

good old US-05 fermented at 18 degrees.

If you are a stronger ale freak like myself I reckon there's no harm in slipping in 300g or more of dex if you want but isn't necessary, it won't affect the flavour but ups the ABV%

Welcome to the slippery slope of home brewing. Let us know how you go.

Try get into a bulk buy for your grain or at least buy 25kg from the HBS. It will be a lot cheaper for you in the long run. Just buy the specialty grain in small amounts for now, unless of course you get in on a bulk buy.

25kg should get you about 5-6 23L brews.

Archived